High Gas Prices Bringing SUV Sales Down.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

damn right. I cant believe that they lasted that long.

Hopefully car manufactors starts to make there cars smaller again.

I am amazed that people want to buy them at all. It seems like everyday an SUV goes offroad... and rolls over. I wish that the state police would especially target SUV's for speeding. Not only are they more dangerous to other cars that way, but they are guzzling even more gas that way. H2's going 95mph are a very scary sight. :ph34r:

I love my SUV... :) I'll love it even more in a few weeks when its 3" higher & has 3" bigger tires on it... :)

EDIT: I still need an EGR valve & probably o2 sensors, and yet I still average 18mpg... not bad for an SUV I might say...

i think the gov't should impose a gas guzzler tax on suv's much like the way they do for the ferrari's and nsx...

They actually subsidize grossly large vehicles like the H2....something having to do with tax writeoffs. Simply amazing.

actually, when you buy a large SUV such as an H2, Excursion, or anything of the "Large Full Size" nature, a gas guzzler tax is included in the purchase price usually.

right, for the consumer.... but the dealer/chevy.ford whoever are getting help from the us gov't to help sell them

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 20 2004, 08:20 AM
i think the gov't should impose a gas guzzler tax on suv's much like the way they do for the ferrari's and nsx...

nsx has gas guzzler tax??? wtf, its got vtec yo! i thought they got pretty good milage.

NSX gets 17 MPG City / 24 MPG Highway

As far as the h2 and excursion. Veichles like that do not have to meet federal laws on emissions and gas millage because under bush's new energy plan, cars over xxxx lbs do not have to meet the standards. The H2 and excursion are one of them.

There really isn't a good reason that an SUV should get less than 20 mpg, without towing something.

I know that some people need the towing power of a large V8 full-size SUV, but not the 95% of the people driving them.

Most SUV's can out-accelerate my old Supra, and I fail to see a need for it. my 4Runner with it's 2.4 liter 4 banger gets 25-30. It has no power, but hey.. it's a truck. I use it for hauling some stuff, hauling the occasional people, and off-roading.

Things like the Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, and other ultra-sport SUVs are an abomination to the purpose of an SUV. If you have a family or carry lots of people, get a Minivan. They come in AWD, get slightly better economy, and are actually safer than an SUV.

And people, and there are lots of them, that go with the safety ratings of SUV's need to be shot into the sun. the "If I get into an accident, It's not ME that has to worry.. hahaha" attitudes have got to go.

most of these new SUV's are boring too. a little Geo Tracker fits the bill for more people than the Suburban. The Tracker is a decent trail-runner, good in the snow, and gets 30 mpg doing normal driving. It's also more fun with it's removable top option.

-> Steve

Back