1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

higher elevation = less power

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by seanjuan, Dec 2, 2003.

1. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

I know the correlation is that they air is less dense.... what are the numbers that correspond though
    like for every thousand feet you lose X amount of hp.... or is it not that simple?

the reason I ask is because I'm from MN (elevation 800ft) and I just interviewed for a job in Denver, CO (elevation 5280ft) and I'm just wondering how much of a change to expect in the ol' civic if I went there

Sean

2. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Good question. I know a stock ITR runs low 16's (or a flat 16 if driven well) up here at the drag strip. What's it run down around sea level?

3. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

A couple seconds?

4. Tonyd0821

Tonyd0821 Banned

flat 16? damn...

when my y8 was boosted at 6psi...i was even with an itr with the usual i/h/e mods...

and im pretty sure i was around 14.9-ish (at night time, when the car was cool)

5. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

6. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Screw you and your thick atmosphere. :p :fuckyou2: :D

7. beau_safken

beau_safken Senior Member

DAmn straight. All you low landers can just kiss my 5Zigen Fireball...LOL

8. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

It's not that simple.

Go look up air density compared to sea level for different elevations and you can start to guess at how much power loss you have- but then you're going to have to factor in thinner air that's easier for your engine to draw in so you may not lose as much as you think, colder temperatures (maybe) that might increase density once again, local weather effects that screw with your temperature and density, humidity on a certain day etc...

Have fun. :lol:

9. cxjon

cxjon Senior Member

what kinda job was it?

10. Tonyd0821

Tonyd0821 Banned

:D

11. ChrisSiR

ChrisSiR Senior Member

The change is big <_< damn mile high altitude

12. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

yeah, I know there are a hella lotta factors that go into it but I was just kinda looking for a general rule of thumb type of correlation.... I really need to get that job in denver though because it actually might help me to stay smart or maybe even get smarter.... but if I take the job in St. Paul I'm screwed, it's just going to be a downward spiral of stupidity in a job that only barely stimulates the mind

John- the job in Denver is for a mechanical tooling designer.... I would be designing automated tools used for assembling hard drives for Seagate

I want this job very badly even though I don't really want to leave this nice dense atmosphere.... but in a few years I could probably transfer back because they have the same department here in MN as well and one of the guys that I was interviewing with drives a 99 or 00 M3 in the summer and a nice Accord in the winter.... it's deffinately a bling bling job

13. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

dont worry about being slower up there .... everyone is slower .... so its not like you are the only one that is taking the 2 second hit

if you could beat car A at your current altitude you will still be able to beat car A way the hell up there it will just take a little longer ;)

14. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

the answer was right there. here it is copied from the chart:

Denver, CO
    Track Altitude: 5800'

Adjust for sea level:

E.T.: .9276

MPH: 1.0773

you take your E.T. and multiply it by .9276 and that gives you what your time would have been at sea level. do the same with your MPH using 1.0773.

15. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Preface: Celerity lives in Connecticut now, at sea level. But he used to live in Colorado at 6800ft, on the base of Mt. Cheyenne.

Chapter 1. You're blessed at least, that at 100 mph the wind resistance on the car is about 60% that experienced at sea level. You're getting better gas economy than you would at sea level. Also, you don't need that high-octane fuel to keep the car from pinging.

Chapter 2. Open your AFM. On the MPFI motor it's a throttle-body adjustment, on the DPFI motor remove the air cleaner pipe and re-adjust it.

The End.

-> Steve

16. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

I was waiting for someone to lay it out more simplerer.... my current job makes me dumb because I don't need to think much.... except for "where do I want to go for lunch?"

I looked at that chart, saw crap loads of numbers, closed it

now it makes sense.... thanks

also, I knew it wouldn't have an effect on head to head racing but I was just more curious about how big of a hit I was going to take on the Ass-dyno because that is the one I frequent the most

anyway, I most likely won't be moving to Denver.... but I'm keeping the dream alive

Sean

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted