higher elevation = less power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I know the correlation is that they air is less dense.... what are the numbers that correspond though
like for every thousand feet you lose X amount of hp.... or is it not that simple?

the reason I ask is because I'm from MN (elevation 800ft) and I just interviewed for a job in Denver, CO (elevation 5280ft) and I'm just wondering how much of a change to expect in the ol' civic if I went there

Sean

Good question. I know a stock ITR runs low 16's (or a flat 16 if driven well) up here at the drag strip. What's it run down around sea level?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Dec 2 2003, 04:18 PM
Good question. I know a stock ITR runs low 16's (or a flat 16 if driven well) up here at the drag strip. What's it run down around sea level?

flat 16? damn...

when my y8 was boosted at 6psi...i was even with an itr with the usual i/h/e mods...

and im pretty sure i was around 14.9-ish (at night time, when the car was cool)

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Dec 2 2003, 02:35 PM
flat 16? damn...

when my y8 was boosted at 6psi...i was even with an itr with the usual i/h/e mods...

Screw you and your thick atmosphere. :p :fuckyou2: :D

DAmn straight. All you low landers can just kiss my 5Zigen Fireball...LOL

Originally posted by seanjuan@Dec 2 2003, 04:16 PM
I know the correlation is that they air is less dense.... what are the numbers that correspond though
like for every thousand feet you lose X amount of hp.... or is it not that simple?

It's not that simple.

Go look up air density compared to sea level for different elevations and you can start to guess at how much power loss you have- but then you're going to have to factor in thinner air that's easier for your engine to draw in so you may not lose as much as you think, colder temperatures (maybe) that might increase density once again, local weather effects that screw with your temperature and density, humidity on a certain day etc...

Have fun. :lol:

Originally posted by seanjuan@Dec 2 2003, 03:16 PM

the reason I ask is because I'm from MN (elevation 800ft) and I just interviewed for a job in Denver, CO (elevation 5280ft) and I'm just wondering how much of a change to expect in the ol' civic if I went there

Sean

what kinda job was it?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Dec 2 2003, 05:48 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Dec 2 2003, 02:35 PM
flat 16? damn...

Screw you and your thick atmosphere. :p :fuckyou2: :D

:D

Originally posted by seanjuan@Dec 2 2003, 04:16 PM

Sean

The change is big <_< damn mile high altitude

Originally posted by Calesta+Dec 2 2003, 08:18 PM-->
@Dec 2 2003, 04:16 PM

It's not that simple.

Go look up air density compared to sea level for different elevations and you can start to guess at how much power loss you have- but then you're going to have to factor in thinner air that's easier for your engine to draw in so you may not lose as much as you think, colder temperatures (maybe) that might increase density once again, local weather effects that screw with your temperature and density, humidity on a certain day etc...

Have fun. :lol:

yeah, I know there are a hella lotta factors that go into it but I was just kinda looking for a general rule of thumb type of correlation.... I really need to get that job in denver though because it actually might help me to stay smart or maybe even get smarter.... but if I take the job in St. Paul I'm screwed, it's just going to be a downward spiral of stupidity in a job that only barely stimulates the mind

John- the job in Denver is for a mechanical tooling designer.... I would be designing automated tools used for assembling hard drives for Seagate

I want this job very badly even though I don't really want to leave this nice dense atmosphere.... but in a few years I could probably transfer back because they have the same department here in MN as well and one of the guys that I was interviewing with drives a 99 or 00 M3 in the summer and a nice Accord in the winter.... it's deffinately a bling bling job

dont worry about being slower up there .... everyone is slower .... so its not like you are the only one that is taking the 2 second hit

if you could beat car A at your current altitude you will still be able to beat car A way the hell up there it will just take a little longer ;)

Originally posted by crxtunerfan@Dec 2 2003, 04:59 PM
NHRA track altitude adjustment charts. you'd probably use the bottom chart for stock & super stock. note the "note" at the top about boost.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/altitude.html

the answer was right there. here it is copied from the chart:

Denver, CO
Track Altitude: 5800'

Adjust for sea level:

E.T.: .9276

MPH: 1.0773

you take your E.T. and multiply it by .9276 and that gives you what your time would have been at sea level. do the same with your MPH using 1.0773.

Preface: Celerity lives in Connecticut now, at sea level. But he used to live in Colorado at 6800ft, on the base of Mt. Cheyenne.

Chapter 1. You're blessed at least, that at 100 mph the wind resistance on the car is about 60% that experienced at sea level. You're getting better gas economy than you would at sea level. Also, you don't need that high-octane fuel to keep the car from pinging.

Chapter 2. Open your AFM. On the MPFI motor it's a throttle-body adjustment, on the DPFI motor remove the air cleaner pipe and re-adjust it.

The End.

-> Steve

Originally posted by crxtunerfan+Dec 3 2003, 02:28 PM-->
crxtunerfan
@Dec 2 2003, 04:59 PM
NHRA track altitude adjustment charts. you'd probably use the bottom chart for stock & super stock. note the "note" at the top about boost.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/altitude.html

the answer was right there. here it is copied from the chart:

Denver, CO
Track Altitude: 5800'

Adjust for sea level:

E.T.: .9276

MPH: 1.0773

you take your E.T. and multiply it by .9276 and that gives you what your time would have been at sea level. do the same with your MPH using 1.0773.

I was waiting for someone to lay it out more simplerer.... my current job makes me dumb because I don't need to think much.... except for "where do I want to go for lunch?"

I looked at that chart, saw crap loads of numbers, closed it

now it makes sense.... thanks

also, I knew it wouldn't have an effect on head to head racing but I was just more curious about how big of a hit I was going to take on the Ass-dyno because that is the one I frequent the most

anyway, I most likely won't be moving to Denver.... but I'm keeping the dream alive

Sean

Back