Holy Crap I am back!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaaseyRacer

Well guys I am back from my semester at sea on the California Maritime Academy Training Ship, The Golden Bear. It was a way cool experience, as we traveled from Vallejo, Ca., to Long Beach, Ca. where we retained 800,000 gallons of diesel Fuel, and then we traveled south to Quepos Costa Rica, Iquique Chile, Cocos Island, Mazatlan Mexico, San Diego Ca. and we returned back to Vallejo. Living on a ship for 2 months was fun at first, we had a strech between Costa Rica, and Mazatlan where we had 27 straight days at sea with a six hour stop at Cocos Island. We did not get off the ship in Chile as the weather was foul, and it would have been super dangerous for us to get ashore.
The ship was an awesome experience, both on the deck side and the engine side. California State University Maritime Academy is one of the best Mechanical Engineering schools in the country, as the students have hands on experience from day one with some huge motors, these things make my honda motor look like a pea. The ship was powered by two twin turboed V16 Enterprise Motors. Here are some Specs:
-Enterprise R5 Diesel Engine (x2)
Cylineders: 16
BHP: 13,618 (each)
Metric HP: 13,806 (each)
kW at the Fly: 10,155
Bore: 432mm or 17inches
Stroke: 533.4mm or 21 inches
Displacement in litres: 1250
Displacement in inches: 76,266
Redline: 514rpm
Compression Ration: 11.6:1
Turbo Compression: 3.1:1

and some pics:

s3f4e7983d6d96.jpg

Intake manifold

s3f4e79b39eb21.jpg

s3f4e7a3ba6059.jpg

Some Big ass turbos

s3f4e799d4e211.jpg

This engine is named Thumper, because the original cams were ground wrong which lead to a rough idle and a tumping sound from the engine

s3f4e7a28d1f70.jpg

Where would Thumper be without Bambi

s3f4e79db04e31.jpg

The Ship, powered by Windows 3.1

s3f4e79ca186b5.jpg

I would like to get the K&N part # for this filter

s3f4e7a063d0a5.jpg

Engine Controls

s3f4e7a179eb24.jpg

Almost as big as one of mine :D

:eek: those are some big fuckin turbos man!! i bet the sound of them spooling up was kinda loud?? sounds like you had a decent time too. and lemme be the first to say welcome back :)

welcome back. nice pics..! im back also, btw.. for now. im getting ready to move to arizona in october and then i probably get to hangout in iraq :p

[/threadjack]

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Aug 28 2003, 03:09 PM
:eek: those are some big fuckin turbos man!! i bet the sound of them spooling up was kinda loud?? sounds like you had a decent time too. and lemme be the first to say welcome back :)

Actually it is damn hard to hear the turbos over all the engines in the engine room, there are 2 out of 3 v8 generators going at all times, 1 out of 3 Air Conditioners going, Water purifiers as we have to make out own water at sea, and oil and fuel purifiers. Plus we have oily water seperators and all that other misc. shit that could be running so it is hard to distingush a turbo sound amungst the other noise.

Welcome back, dizzle.

Anyone know if putting that intake manifold on my car can be contained to a weekend project? I g0tz t0 g3t da mad air fl0 Nto da Nginez !

Back