home-fabricated shift linkage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shaolinswordstyle

Hiya, Im helping whith a 90 crx si- b16a1 swap in the morning and i seem to have gotten stuck with the task of figurin out the shift linkage and the axels. I was wondering if there was a way to modify the stock si linkage to fit the b16 tranny, cut an weld and what not. does it have to be longer or shorter, bent a differant way or what. i've searched long and hard on this and cant find so much as a comparison picture. just wondering if any of you guys have made your own linkage before. I probably wouldnt mind getting the hasport peace later on but time is aginst us, and we just need somethin to work, even if its only temporary. i can cut and weld and have all the tools to do it with so any help would be awesome. pics or links would be cool too.

oh yeah, the axels.. for this im gonna need 90 - 93 integra LS MT axels right, in other words if i go to, say, autozone i would just ask for these... right?

thanks fellas.

dude, i would recommend waiting until you got the right linkage to do the swap. i don't think anybody would recommend chopping linkage. but anyways, i will try to help, yes you can get the axles at your local parts store. second you will probably have to shorten your d16 linkage.

yeah you gotta shorten the linkage to fit. your best bet is to get the hasport linkage but if you gotta cut your own then do it right and fab up a sleeve to go over about three inches of the linkage on each side of the cut and weld that up. that way the sleeve takes the abuse of your shifting instead of it being directly on the weld/cut. trust me youll hate yourself if you go out to the track and snap the linkage shifting too hard. good luck

I would cut it to length then slip a 6in sleeve over one of the cut ends and push it down the bar a bit then weld the linkage together let it cool then grind it flat then slide the sleeve over the welded/grinded portion 3in on one side and 3in on the other then weld that in place no way that is coming apart you should probly paint it when you finish to prevent rust! Good luck ;)

Yeh just as mentioned earlier i would get the hasport shift linkage. About the axles you will need the 90-93 teg mt along witht he same year intermediate shaft.

We found it useless to try and modify the d series linkage, way too much to do. But we modified a 94 Integra linkage with out to much trouble at all (Which only set us back $10 at the local junk yard). Good Luck!

dude modify integra shift linkage, they are just as strong and work fine. just make sure u have hte tranny in neutral when u are seeing how much to take off, and make a good weld to hold up on hard shifting and u will be fine. 20 bucks for integra shift linkage or 80 bucks for the same thing with a hasport name... save the 60 bucks for something important man.

use 1990-1993 integra shift linkage.

80 bucks for the same thing with a hasport name

you aren't paying 80 bucks for a hasport name, you are paying 80 bucks for hasport QUALITY. ask anybody and they will tell you hasport is worth the money

:owned: Also for their engineering and know that the part is not some hack that someone built in their garage.

Whats wrong with doing it yourself, if you do it the right way? I had a hasport linkage right next to me, when I made mine. They look identical.

I think one important thing that people are forgeting is that it's not just the length of the linkage that is different it is also the end liks.

when I did my swap it came with the correct linkage and I wanted to resuse the poly bushings I had for my D linkage but couldn't use the one that connects to the tranny because it was the wrong size

There is nothing wrong with making your own if you know what you are doing and have access to all the proper tools to do it. I was going more on that the hasport is not a ripoff for the person who does not have the access or ability to fabricate their own. Also it is tried and true so if you got it there is one less thing to worry about. I would make my own but I do not know how to weld.

Just an update on this, I did modify the stock linkage, or so i think its the stock linkage, and it was actually too short (the actual linkage and the stabalizer). all i had to do to the stabalizer was bend it abit, make a bracket, and attach it to a differant point on the transmission (about 2 inches behind the original point). the linkage was pie, two pieces of 1/8" thick steel, about 1.5" wide, 4" long, drilled 2 holes 1.5" apart. I bolted the two pieces on the outside of the ears that attached to the shifter, this extended the ears to the shifter. i just put a few spots of welds on the ears and bolted it up, and installed the "bitch" pin (which isn't a bitch at all :huh: ) and it's done. if i can rally up a camera i'll post some pictures of it. It only took about an hour and a half, and didn't cost a dime. i do have an obx short shifter, which may make the linkage to short to reach the end? it works and is as strong if not stronger than the factory piece. Just thought somebody would like to know.
thanks for the help :D

Back