Honda Civic Ex to Del Sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Darktwistedfool

My 93' honda civic ex 1.6L Vtec has sustained immense body damage and has become too much of a hassle to keep rebuilding. As such I am purchasing a 93' civic del sol with a 1.5L engine (not vtec). I think it's understandable that with this heavier body/frame that I would want to take my vtec and drop it in. I only have a few concerns regarding the swap. The vehicles are both automatic.

Obviously because the vtec is controlled by the computer I am going to have to swap that with the motor. I want to know if it's just as simple as hooking up the connections seeing as they are so similar...if not, what do I need to do to make this happen. I figure the tranis are probably the same but I'm looking into them to find any differences. As far as the engine I was able to find the right engine in my EX but I could not find the exact model engine thats in the Del Sol...I searched an engine list that was posted on here in hopes of finding it with no luck.

P.S. This is my first post and I will admit I'm a bit of a novice. This will be my first engine swap. BTW...the Del Sol is in amazing condition...only 67k original miles and no rust...coming from ohio thats amazing.

the del sol Si comes with the D16Z6 (same engine as your EX)
the swap will be pretty straight forward
use the harness and ECU from your EX
i think you will have to add the VTEC wires from the cannon plugs to the ECU

thats about it

it doesnt necessarily come with a d16. del sols came with d15 non v tec in 1993. it comes in the del sol base model, called the "S" model, as oppose to the "SI" which came with the d16z6 in 1993 which obviously offers single cam vtec.

and yeah you will have to run the wires for Vtec.

if you got the 93 S model with an automatic, i wouldnt be worrying about 15 or so extra hp gained with doing a whole engine swap. you have no chance to go even relatively fast, id just suggest getting and driving it, save the trouble of swapping motors /tranny if the d15 blows up. just my 0.02

Well it turns out that the new del sol im gettin is a 1.6L Vtec after all...it's just not written on the head cover. Thanks for the help regardless though. Looks like my other civics just gonna be a project car or a parts car from here on out.

Back