Honda Newbie with a 97 Civic EX Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bigfoot

Hey guy's im a Newbie to this site and to Honda vehicles i have owned many Nissan's and just sold my 91 240SX and bought a 1997 Civic Coupe EX 5-speed.
Now i know it has a 1.6 SOHC motor in it but I went looking for specs on this motor on other site's and they all said a 97 Civic EX models had the 1.6 VTEC?
my motor does not say VTEC anywhere my good buddy is a Honda fanatic and Has a JDM B16A in a Del Sol and said it WAS NOT a VTEC motor but all the info i have found says it is! can you all help a Newbie! :( If so has anyone heard anything good about the Edelbrock Turbo kit's for these D16 motors? Thanks for any info guy's! :D

It's a vtec motor, it just doesn't say vtec on the valve cover. The edelbrock is is extremely overpriced, I would look into something else.

Well I suggest doing research and building your own kit, but if you have ot get a kit look for a used one (gredyy, drag, etc...) and then get some good fuel management (chipped ECU).

yeah, tell your friend he's retarded for telling you it's not a vtec motor, espercially for being a honda "fanatic" he should have known that. anyway, do what beerbong suggests, i mean, after all, the dude made his own turbo kit and puts out 230hp on a otherwise stock d block.

Originally posted by spydy43@Feb 11 2005, 12:33 PM
You can also look at the block and you should see d16y8 stamped on it.
[post=459573]Quoted post[/post]​

you could also show him the vtec solenoid. i think its on the back side of a d-series but im only like 60% on that.

Thanks for all the responses guy's i will definately check out Homemadeturbo.com
like i said im new to the Honda thing. And i did see that solenoid on the back of the Head and that's why i was wondering and thought it was a VTEC motor. Thanks again guy's and im sure im not done pestering you guy's yet! :D

Check out the reference/ general tech/ swap sections and you'll learn a lot. The search button can also be your friend.

Back