Hondata

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
So what kind of hondata ecu do I need to be able to raise my rev limiter, add a shift light and tune my motor anyway? I'm making my a2 all motor and I want to be able to mess with it to tune it on the dyno, etc.

I've never really seen much talk about it besides "get a hondata!"

You will need a couple things, one you will need one of these:
http://hondata.com/adapters.html
There are cheaper places to get the adapter than hondata, try:
http://www.jkobdconversionharness.com/
Then you will need to get a P28 ECU chipped with hondata most hondata dealers can get this for you. Then you need the hondata unit itself. The OBD2 to OBD1 conversion is super easy on your car the conversion harness and ecu is all you need. You do not necisarily need hondata to tune your car, it just simplifies it a great deal. If you have some minor mods a VAFC will do the trick, however the VAFC is super limited compared to hondata.
If you are still curious about hondata their website has a really good write up on what it is and what it does:
http://hondata.com/quicktour.html
I can vouch for it and and so can a lot of other people on this site and elsewhere.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Apr 11 2004, 03:34 AM
You will need a couple things, one you will need one of these:
http://hondata.com/adapters.html
There are cheaper places to get the adapter than hondata, try:
http://www.jkobdconversionharness.com/
Then you will need to get a P28 ECU chipped with hondata most hondata dealers can get this for you. Then you need the hondata unit itself. The OBD2 to OBD1 conversion is super easy on your car the conversion harness and ecu is all you need. You do not necisarily need hondata to tune your car, it just simplifies it a great deal. If you have some minor mods a VAFC will do the trick, however the VAFC is super limited compared to hondata.
If you are still curious about hondata their website has a really good write up on what it is and what it does:
http://hondata.com/quicktour.html
I can vouch for it and and so can a lot of other people on this site and elsewhere.

Wow. thanks man...that link that takes you to the introduction was most helpful.

Hondata modifies standard Honda engine computers (ECUs), adding features and expanding the capabilities of the ECU (e.g. for forced induction). Several products are offered, including tunable systems, tuning software and datalogging software.

I definitely want to get some tuning and datalogging software. Thanks Maasey. :thumbsup:

depending on how "big" you are going, I'd probably sawy you into a vafc.

cams & pistons (the only two things really that add power on an all motor build that require some tuning) isn't much to play with.

If i were to go all motor, I'd run a vafc.

Will the vafc allow me to run a shift light also? I'm still going to get one and I want data logging, tuning, shift light operation all in one package.

why do you need data logging? its great for on the dyno tuning, but after that, its pretty useless.

if you want a shift light, buy a bulb, an 8k rpm msd chip, and wire it up. :)

I want to run data logging all the time so if something spikes or whatever, i can diagnose any problems that might arise...

i'll just go with a little yellow shiftlight that I had already decided on.

Yeah, you have to have the laptop connected to the Hondata box in order to datalog don't you?

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Apr 12 2004, 03:10 AM
Yeah, you have to have the laptop connected to the Hondata box in order to datalog don't you?

Or build a specialty mini-computer into the passenger side footwell under the carpet, complete with a remote mounted LCD screen that pops out from your dash...

Whoops, did I say that out loud? My mistake. :lmao:

You're going to have your laptop in your car and running Hondalogger all the time?

TPP: "Shotgun!"

James: "No, no... the computer gets shotgun."

:lol:

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Apr 12 2004, 03:16 AM
You're going to have your laptop in your car and running Hondalogger all the time?

TPP: "Shotgun!"

James: "No, no... the computer gets shotgun."

:lol:

I already have the plans to get a full computer into the car without using any real measurable space... for about $400-500 too. I just might do it for my datalogging fun.

:lmao:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 11 2004, 07:04 PM
cams & pistons (the only two things really that add power on an all motor build that require some tuning) isn't much to play with.

The one major thing that VAFC lacks that makes alot of power is the option to run diffrent ignition timing. VAFC can only do fuel and VTEC activation point. This is why hondata, uberdata, AEM, Emanage, ect just make more power then VAFC.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 11 2004, 06:04 PM
depending on how "big" you are going, I'd probably sawy you into a vafc.

Those Airflow controllers are hacks... :p Anything you do can benefit from tuning... Even in stock form they benefit from tuning... Factory Detuned I like to call it... :)

one of the main reasons I do not like AFCs and their kind for serious tuning is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to change fuel without changing timing. Any "leaning" of the fuel trim will also change the timing (in most cases, advancing it). Any "richening" of the fuel trim will in most cases retard the timing. In a well tuned high boost or high compression situation, there is little room for random timing manipulation, especially when timing changes can go in the opposite direction of safety.

I TOTALLY agree. I'm always screaming hondata for everyone looking to make some serious power....

But read his sig. A skunk2 stage 2 cam setup + basic bolt ons, to me, is far from a "serious" build, and won't be cost effective to get a full blown hondata system with data logging and all that.

a simple vafc will be more than fine to cut/add some fuel here or there.

i mean, what are we talking about? 160whp?

Back