horn help please!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PowerAddict

so i was helping a freind of mine fix his horn. the horn would work if you cocked the wheel to the side, but not in the 12 o'clock position. I thought it was the clockspring. I replaced that, and it worked the day i fixed it, but then it intermittently stops working.

It looks like the wire going up underneath the airbag cover pad is really loose, is it safe to take that cover off of the airbag?

Is there any other known problems I can check to try and fix this?

Does the car have cruise control ?

The airbag has nothing to do with the horn . So if you didnt want to buy another airbag . I wouldnt take it off .

Year/ make / model ????

its a 98 honda accord. It does have cruise control.

The horn wire goes up in between the air bag and the steering wheel pad.

Like boosted said dont take the bag apart unless you want to buy it. But if im not mistaken there is a ground and power wire behind airbag. I have had the same problem happen on a car where the ground was loose and would intermittently lose ground. I would start with the basics if its intermittent its probably something loose.

You might want to replace the cruise control module located on the steering wheel . That also controls the horn .

the clockspring is what i replaced. that is the connection for horn and cruise control. Where can I find the ground?

a wiring daigram and service manual is the best place to check. I dont know exactly on your vehicle on mine it was a pin behind the airbag. But each vehicle is a little different.

There is one clip from the clock spring that attaches to the steering wheel behind the airbag. Another clip runs to the cruise control . Which also runs the Horn, and finally the other yellow connection goes to the air bag. 3 plugs is all there is . Some causes I have seen is where the chip in the cruise control gets dropped , banged , or wahtever and it doesnt work any more . Does the cars cruise control work . HAve you checked the fuse to the horn ?

havn't checked cruise control. But the horn will work, just intermittently.

pretty much it ends up not working when the wheel is at 12 o'clock, but if you tilt it it will work.

I've heard of a ground in the ignition cylinder to the steering column. You guys know anything about that?

Here's the fix for the horn. The ground for the horn comes through the steering shaft. The upper bearing of the shaft just under the air bag has grease in it that dries out and causes the ground to be lost through the balls of the bearing. Take the wheel apart down to that bearing and spray a good quality lubricant (other than WD-40) into the bearing. Don't overload it though. Work it in with the wheel. You should be good.

I've had the wheel off, all the way down to the clockspring, what bearing are you talking about? I"m trying to picture it in my head and I can't.

thank you for the reply!!!!

You can't actually see the bearing unless you remove the clock spring and more. If you look closely straight down the shaft with the clock spring on, you may see the bearing. Carefully spray down the shaft, turn the wheel and spray again. Reinstall the horn and all and it should work.

Back