Horrible screeching!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confyushus

Ok, I am kinda new to this site as well as the whole car thing (bike mechanic), but I am trying to get into it! Anyways, my brother has a 94 civic hatch with an LS/Vtec swap (B18A1 bottom with GSR head just to be exact), it isnt tuned by the way, and hes more into the looks and being able to say hes got LS/V than anything. He was driving it and it started making a screeching sound. It is not the belt, it is over around the throttle body, i think, but it is so loud and high pitched that it kind of echoes off of everything on that side. The only time it doesnt make the sound is when its at idle and just off idle, otherwise, no matter what we do, it still screeches and get louder and faster sounding as the revs increase. Any ideas??? Thanks for ANY help!

Its not coming from the throttle body.. Maybe a bad bearing in the transmission?? There isn't a whole lot to make that kind of noise on that side of the motor.. :shrug2:

as far as screeching sounds go usually I would say belt.
But I have heard a belt squeal echo in the engine bay and sound like its from elsewhere.

Check out the belts just to be 100% sure though.
Worst case take them off shortly to see if it stops (not the timing belt)
You never know. I had my alternator belt squealing on my Z6 once and it sounded like it was coming from the transmission area until i stuck my head underneath the car.

If it still squeals at the least the alternator/power steering/AC belt is ruled out for sure and closer to phyregod's guess

Just came to me.

Could have also sucked up a canary in the intake.

They scream a lot.

Any noticeable loss of power?

Im kinda siding with the bearing theory, it just doesnt sound like a belt, however i am going to check. The canary theory is possible, but i have one huge question about that: how would you know a canary screams?? Kinda creepy in a really weird way if you think about it. hahaha I dont know if there is any loss in power, it sounds so bad that im afraid to drive it... or even start it for that matter, but i think im gonna have to to figure this out. Thanks again for the help!!

Well I was just thinking that nice squeal you get from jet engines after going through a flock of birds and the smell of Thanksgiving dinner after they land.

So you may just try to smell your exhaust check if its "foul".;)

bearing thing sounds likely. you could also hand crank it.

I remember that I heard of on case that someone had their wrist pin dislodge on the piston itself and was scraping on the inside of the cylinder wall just slightly.
If it was true i don't know for sure i just remember looking at the bottom end of the block and it looked like someone notched it for aftermarket rods but on the the other axis on the bottom skirting on just one cylinder and scrape marks on the side. Somebody double check me on this cause i cannot verify something like this happening. :confused:

You could try removing one spark plug on each cylinder and see if the sound gets louder by checking each one and starting it each time on 3 cylinders till you find the loud one in this case. I heard it run and it sounded like a screaming canary hence the sucking a canary in the intake. if that may help narrow it down.:confused:

then again it this whole thing was present all the time including at idle, but nowhere near as loud. It was also the first engine i actually swapped. So this may not be the case.

Whatever it is a good chance you may have to remove the engine. Just try to narrow it down. Worst case you have to take it apart to find out whats messed up.

Best of luck and keep us updated, trying to help shoot ideas out there but engine bearing . Anyone else have any ideas?

Back