Hot Start Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

When ever its like 80-90+ degrees out i can almost guarantee that my 90 Teg' wont start. Never happened when its cold just HOT. I have plenty of new oil and coolant is still very green, should i just get a new radiator or could it be something else????

I used to have a problem with a previous vehicle not starting if It had been running recently before

I know that's worded shitty but for example, If I was driving and stopped to fill up on gas, when I would go to restart it, It would struggle and sometimes not start at all.

It turned out that the heat from my headers was getting the starter motor too hot and it wouldn't function properly.
I solved the problem with header wrap to keep excess heat away from the starter motor.

However, I don't think this is the case with you because normal outside temperatures ( 80 -90 degrees) shouldn't be anywhere hot enough to mess with your starter.

I know this is probably of no help whatsoever, but you may want to check out your starter and see if there's anything visibly wrong with it.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

i will definately take a look @ the starter and maybe try a header wrap, and i might cheak the radiator cause it might just not be cooling right, but if it was mt radiator wouldnt my temp gauge go up???

Your problem is the main relay, you need a new one, try a junkyard 1st, much cheaper. I had the same problem with my 90 rex, autozone wanted $57 dollars for a new one, found one it at a junk yard for $10 solved the problem imediately.

thanks for that article. that helps a ton!!!!!!!
and he funny thing is my mecanic just changed my igniter about 4 months ago!!!

Back