house shopping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jun 16 2005, 01:20 PM-->
@Jun 16 2005, 02:10 PM
B, There is no money to be made off of that home.

Do yourself a favour and look into a new development.  I mean brand new...like no grass yet.  Look to spend around $160-$180K.

lmmfao. you're kidding right?

new developments START around 350k-500k.

not happening.

i can't get an 1890's vitorian for 160k. this is not east bumfuck.

Stay at the home for 4-5 years...work & save.

After 4-5 years, pending on the condition of the CT market, turn around and sell the home for $275-300K+

5 years ago, this would have been the case. but then a bunch of towelhead fuck faces decided to drunk-drive some planes into a couple buildings, and everyone and their mother bought houses.

This is what we did.  Bought a brand new home for $255K, squatted for 6 years, and just sold the thing last month for $448K.  We made hundreds of thousands of dollars in a stoopid amount of time.

and now is the time to sell-- i agree. but freankly, its leveling off lately down here. had a huge rise recently in the past 5 years, and now its plateued. not sure where its going.

Hell, as soon as our subdivision had sod layed and some minor landscaping, our house went up in value by $75K...no joke.  Within one year.

Buy new.  Wait.  Price goes up after development has finished.  Sell home.  Collect profit.  Put towards new home.  Keep Sti :)

perhaps canada has different values... but there is no way im buying a new home. land alone is about 45k per 10th acre in a desired new development. its nuts.

Just do your homework.  Take into account what the CT market has to offer.  Research recent trends and property values.  Keep an eye on the market.  And most important, be smart.
[post=512967]Quoted post[/post]​

i have been.... and its going no where better fast. thats why im 25 and still live at home like a douche bag.

its time to step up and move on.
[post=512969]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I guess you're right....The Canadian market is entirely diffrent. Not that I live on the corner of buttfuck Ontario and "you got a purrdy mouth" , I'm just outside of Canada's biggest city, Toronto. Anyone I know that has bought a used home in the past ten years, has lost money. We lucked out I guess. But we just bought another brand new home, and we expect similar returns:

gallery_31005_76_37769.jpg

Don't know man....gotta take chances I guess. But obviously, you know your demographic much better than I do.

That house is behind my mothers place. Its nice behind there, quiet, and the house is in good condition. It is actually a good deal for the money considering our market. Robyne and I looked at a Two Story cape a month ago on a little less land and about the same sq. footage for 220, thing is, your monthly payment doesnt include your taxes, which will probably be another 2-500 dollars per month. Bristol has a very high milrate even though we do have a lot of industry...Its just expensive as shit anywhere in Ct.

I'm moving to North Carolina - brand new 2800 sq. ft. house with luxury options and 1 acre of land are goign for 180k with 540/mo associated fees to the development (garbage, street cleaning, playground upkeep, etc).

I'll telecommute to work and Robyne will get a mgmt. position in our Charlotte Office... :)

Originally posted by adnoh@Jun 16 2005, 01:32 PM

Don't know man....gotta take chances I guess. But obviously, you know your demographic much better than I do.
[post=512972]Quoted post[/post]​

With all the fuckin land up in Canada, the development you buy in has houses ONTOP of eachother like that?

So much for privacy...

Originally posted by Bob Vila+Jun 16 2005, 01:37 PM-->
@Jun 16 2005, 01:32 PM

Don't know man....gotta take chances I guess.  But obviously, you know your demographic much better than I do.

With all the fuckin land up in Canada, the development you buy in has houses ONTOP of eachother like that?

So much for privacy...
[post=512974]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude....80% of the land in Canada is uninhabitable. Ever notice how all of our population is nestled closely to the US border? It's not because we love you guys so much.... :lol:

Originally posted by adnoh+Jun 16 2005, 02:32 PM-->
Well, I guess you're right....The Canadian market is entirely diffrent. Not that I live on the corner of buttfuck Ontario and "you got a purrdy mouth" , I'm just outside of Canada's biggest city, Toronto. Anyone I know that has bought a used home in the past ten years, has lost money. We lucked out I guess. But we just bought another brand new home, and we expect similar returns:

are you serious? that would easily sell for 650-ish... but i'm with steve... where AM the land?

Bob Vila
@Jun 16 2005, 02:36 PM
That house is behind my mothers place.

you've seen it? sweet.. i'm going to have to drive by...

like behind on Bel air/morning side drive area??

Its nice behind there, quiet, and the house is in good condition. It is actually a good deal for the money considering our market.

i agree.

Robyne and I looked at a Two Story cape a month ago on a little less land and about the same sq. footage for 220, thing is, your monthly payment doesnt include your taxes, which will probably be another 2-500 dollars per month. Bristol has a very high milrate even though we do have a lot of industry...Its just expensive as shit anywhere in Ct.

yeah, but at the same time, fed income tax from owning a house will be much less, and so it will pretty much pay for it self. at least, that's been my experience with my dad's house... its like 5500 a year for prop tax, but hes also not losing a lot on the income tax return.

I'm moving to North Carolina - brand new 2800 sq. ft. house with luxury options and 1 acre of land are goign for 180k with 540/mo associated fees to the development (garbage, street cleaning, playground upkeep, etc).

I'll telecommute to work and Robyne will get a mgmt. position in our Charlotte Office... :)
[post=512973]Quoted post[/post]​

are you seriously moving, or just talking our your ass?

there a badass house on matthews st for sale. huge yard and monster barn/garage. you could probally autox in the back yard.

we just cleared a lot in bristol in a new devlopment and the laot was 1/2 acre big and the land went for 175k. but if you need land or a lot cleared lmk ;)

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Jun 16 2005, 02:45 PM
there a badass house on matthews st for sale. huge yard and monster barn/garage. you could probally autox in the back yard.

we just cleared a lot in bristol in a new devlopment and the laot was 1/2 acre big and the land went for 175k. but if you need land or a lot cleared lmk ;)
[post=512981]Quoted post[/post]​

i'll have to drive by there tonight too.. check it out.
only prob. with mat. street is that its very hilly... i'd like a rather flat yeard.

are you serious? that would easily sell for 650-ish... but i'm with steve... where AM the land?

We bought the home for $800,000. 5500 sqft. We put $500K down. Canadian funds, obvioulsy. In 5 years, even if the market stays steady, we expect it to be worth over $1 Million since the development is only 50% complete.

In terms of land.....don't want it. Land=$$$$, maintenence, hassle. This is why we moved to the suburbs.

I dunno dude. Just dont throw your money away on a place that wont make you anything. A home is susposed to be an investment, not an expense.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 16 2005, 01:42 PM
are you seriously moving, or just talking our your ass?
[post=512978]Quoted post[/post]​

Honestly we are truthfully looking into it. We are weighing the pro's and con's, but more than likely we'll just continue redoing the Condo and then sell for a large profit and buy a house that isn't worth what we purchase it for...

hell, the condo can sell easily for 155k as it sits now, one just sold in the complex for 139k and its a loft, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom and no garage...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 16 2005, 02:10 PM
i think im moving to canada....
[post=512995]Quoted post[/post]​

And we get free health-care too :lol:

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Jun 16 2005, 01:45 PM

can you level a yard? :huh:

sure but i think we would be more money b/c we would have to drive to your house everyday. (fathers business)

Originally posted by Airjockie+Jun 16 2005, 12:01 PM-->
erebunicrx
@Jun 16 2005, 01:45 PM

can you level a yard? :huh:
[post=513016]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes you can.

50 a month in the hole before gas, food, and not including RE taxes is hardly an excuse...

its simple math...

i'm in the same situation...
can't afford anything decent, and anything i can afford isn't worth it...

hopefully the housing market in the NE takes a nose dive soon...
33% overinflated... i just hope the bubble bursts as opposed to just leveling off...
(but i do have my own place :D )

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 16 2005, 12:11 PM
maybe i should sell the sti and buy a reliable cheaper car... like a 2.5 RS or something for 10k...
bah, i don't want to do that either.

part time job at night? doing what? waiting tables? even if i make 300 more a month doing that, its really not even worth it. i'll have no time to do anything-- nor ENJOY the house cuz all im doing is sleeping in it.

ask for a raise? kinda hard now... we're in our slow season, and the money just isn't coming in. even if i get a 5k bump, thats still only like 250 more a month take home. :(
[post=512916]Quoted post[/post]​

youll make a shitton more waiting tables then 300 a month. 100 bucks a day is cake if your good.

and instead of selling the sti, why dont you sell some of your other cars. will drop your insurance and youll have more money for a dp.

around here to even get a mortgage you have to have 10% to throw down.

i waited tables for 6 years dude... i know what i can make doing it. and it would be like 1 or 2 nights a week thing... any more than that and i'd hate life. so i'd say 300 would be a decent guess. but i don't think i'm going to do it. i'll figure something out.

other cars? the hatch is my race car-- paid for, and costs like 150 bucks to insure with the sti due to multi car discount. no point in selling it
the del sol IS for sale. see my sig. lol

10-30% is common for a DP, but a lot of places are advertising no money down loans, as well as interest-only loans. I have PERFECT credit, so getting a tougher/no DP loan won't be too hard.
I got pre-approved for 175 via a web app from one company. i'm sure with a phone call and some more direct dealings with an agent, i would be approved for pretty much anything i want -- within reason of course.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 16 2005, 12:11 PM
maybe i should sell the sti and buy a reliable cheaper car... like a 2.5 RS or something for 10k...
bah, i don't want to do that either.

part time job at night? doing what? waiting tables? even if i make 300 more a month doing that, its really not even worth it. i'll have no time to do anything-- nor ENJOY the house cuz all im doing is sleeping in it.

ask for a raise? kinda hard now... we're in our slow season, and the money just isn't coming in. even if i get a 5k bump, thats still only like 250 more a month take home. :(

Keep the STI, sell everything else you have. Wait until later in life to rebuy the toy cars, the sti will serve as a DD/fun car.

As for increasing your income, if you're willing, sell whatever high tech shit you have thats worth quite a bit to try to bring home some extra cash. Do you really need a big screen right now? Do you need this, do you need that?

Then the serving job...you can make a hell of a lot more than you expect. I'm not a fulltime server but if I were I could easily pull in 30k a year before taxes. As is, I'm going to pull in 15-20k and I'm in a franchised restaurant thats not all that busy. I pull in $100 or more a night after I'm done with my "tip out" and what not. 4 hours of work last night left me with $112.

Serve on weekends and pull in an extra $800 a month or so.

you could always look for homes that have been foreclosed or seized due to back taxes. they are usually priced retardedly low or you could even pay the previous owners balance for it.

Back