How can I make a d15b quick?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

commador

I will be putting a d15b in my eg8 soon and want to know how to make it quick. I mean, other than the basic bolt ons, what can I do? what cam specs shoudl I look for or what about rasing compression? And would getting new pistons be the easiest way to accomplish this? Are there any pistons from other d series engines that will up the compresion? Basically, what all can I do *cheap* to make the little motor have a little more gusto?

I'm guessing you're asking about the JDM D15B Vtec engine. It all depends on your budget like you said, more cash, more hp. I would go with:

ZEX 53900 cam (real cheap @ $280 and 14hp!)
High Compression head gasket ($100 tops)
Skunk2 Intake manifold ($280 and around 10hp)
DC header (price ranges)
Nab a B-Series throttle body
Isky Valve springs and retainers ($345)
Exedy Clutch (only $100!)
Lightweight Flywheel (around $300)

with all these you're engine will be alot happier and can take alot of abuse. About the pistons, the engine already has a 9.5:1 compression, figure the head gasket will bump it up to 10:1 which is pretty reliable. To make power with the D-series engines, YOU NEED TO DO HEAD WORK. all the power that is made with these engines in "drag mode" is done by porting the head and maximizing flow. Granted there are other ways to make a D fast (forced induction), but for all motor you need to mod out the head.

you could go fully built turbo but your talking about 15k +. If i had that kind of money i would do it, just to see the look on ppls faces when they realize they got wasted by a d15

The best way to make a D series quick- Throw it on the back of a garbage truck. Trust me, quicker than stock.

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Mar 7 2004, 10:32 PM
you could go fully built turbo but your talking about 15k +. If i had that kind of money i would do it, just to see the look on ppls faces when they realize they got wasted by a d15

Eh? "Fully built" can mean anything...

Originally posted by civic_types@Mar 7 2004, 11:11 PM
Get it picked up by a diesel tow truck with a huge Turbo !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

quick and cheap = nitrous.

everything else is going to cost you a lot of money.

if you have any kind of mechanical skills and can read then do a budget turbo...

it will take some time, and some money, but you can piece it together...

ok, thanks for the replies, well, the useful ones :D I think I will start with the cam, finish up with the exhaust, and get some dyno time. Then, go about building up a turbo.

Eh? "Fully built" can mean anything...

umm how? fully built is fully built, everything u can possibly do to the engine. everything, lightweights pullys, cams, pistons, gears, turbo, etc

Don't waste your money, save it for a swap........... B-series

Maybe even an H-series swap, on the long run is cheaper than turbocharging a SOHC.

do they even make stroker kits for the d?? I need some good power, but I have a seriously tight budget. I know everywhere I go I hear, swap a b, go for an ls, blah blah blah, but I can get a complete d15b swap for under 1000 shipped. Right now, my d15b7 has 120,xxx miles and this engine has less than 40,000 miles. Plus, it has 30 hp more than what I have now, and a nice benefit, vtec. Just looking for some options to make some power with it. So all other swaps aside, what motor only parts can I use? I heard at SHO I cant use that zex cam, but it sounds so tempting. Mabey you were kidding about the stroker kit, but does it exist, and if it does, how much more power would it yeild?

limited budget = limited mods. There is no "one" mod you have to do to your engine to make it faster. It's usually a combination of mods that yield the most hp. 120,000 miles isn't that bad. I have 144,000. I don't know how much money you have, but remember that if you get that engine you're going to need a new water pump, timing belt, etc. Don't forget axles. You can risk using those parts, but I wouldn't since everything is already out of the car. It's better to be safe than sorry.

i assume you have the jdm d15b tranny also? the gearing is pretty good however:

get an srr 4.9 final drive. that will make it real quick. B)

also, look into getting some zc 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear sets. 'quick' is just as much in gearing as it is the engine. think about it. you'll be able to use the little power that you have more effectively.

Originally posted by civic_types@Mar 7 2004, 11:11 PM
Get it picked up by a diesel tow truck with a huge Turbo !

ha yeah, i was gonna say that then he would have a turbo.

POS D15b + Big trash truck w/ turbo diesel = SOHC turbo.

seriously though, dont fuck with that pos motor. the most i would do with that is throw the VTEC head on and maybe a budget turbo and see how long it takes to blow. Fuck it, probably woudn't even do the head. then i would take all the $$ i saved from not buying stupid parts for that motor and go buy a B18 to swap in.

Back