How can I tell what transmission I have?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lohonda

I looked up the transmission codes for Y80 and it says it is a ls and a gsr. How do I tell if it is a ls or a gsr?

If this isn't the right forum then please let me know which one is.
Thanks.

Well, you could but the tranny in first through 4th gears, and turn the primary shaft by hand, and see how many revolutions the differential turns, and figure out the gear ratios. That sounds like a PITA, but it would be a direct way to find the ratios and see what tranny specs it matches. I've never done it, so I don't know for sure if it will work, but it's an idea. There has to be some other marking on it to tell, otherwise how would even the suppliers know?

Mike is right, the name has got to be stamped on it somewhere... otherwise Honda might even get confused.... but I wouldn't know where.

as far asi know, the only way to truly tell is to pull the case and count the teeth ont h e final drive. i have the same problem.

maybea honda tech would know where to look/how to find out what tranny is what? :shrug2:

i need to find out myself....o ordered a h22a transmission from an importer by the name of japan engine....and it seems to be that i have hella long gears. i do roughly 75-76 mph in second :eek: does this sound to high to anyone else? also i thiink the car would be far more powerful with slightly shorter gearing <_<

Originally posted by driver1@Aug 8 2004, 06:53 PM
maybea honda tech would know where to look/how to find out what tranny is what? :shrug2:

i need to find out myself....o ordered a h22a transmission from an importer by the name of japan engine....and it seems to be that i have hella long gears. i do roughly 75-76 mph in second :eek: does this sound to high to anyone else? also i thiink the car would be far more powerful with slightly shorter gearing <_<
[post=374133]Quoted post[/post]​

I think you got an Accord tranny instead. You need shorter gears.

ya tell me about it......i just really want to find out for sure bacause i will go about gettin a REAL h22 tranny if i know thats not what i already have...oh and my bad on the threadjack, i just seem to have the same problem

Look for a black ink stamp. if it's stamped with V4 it's an older GRS tranny If it's stamped with V4D it's a newer GSR tranny.

The stamp should be to the upper right of the slave cyl.

Back