How can u tell what is what?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dealgrabber2002

I am new at this so please any info is greatly appreciated...

How can u tell what engine is what by just looking at an engines such as B16A2, GSR, or Type-R? And also the tranny for each engines. I know there is code for trannies and engines..but I want to know more then just what printed on the engine and the color of the valve cover...thank you.

well if you know where to look on the engine. its just basically remember what they look like. valve covers, dizzys. intake manifolds.

its not exactly rocket science

Yeah your just going to have to look and study the look of motors. Lokking at valve cover can only tell you if it's an Vtec or not. I mean the LS and B20 valve covers look the same and the GSR,SI,ITR and CTR valve covers all look the same, Color on a valve cover dosen't need ish. GSR has a under-curved intakemainfol that dual chamber. While the rest have a striaght IM.

Codes are the best way to tell them part.

if the engine is made in japan....do it have the brand "made in japan" on it? i remember seeing B18C and the serial # but not the "made in Japan"

it's all in teh motor codes mang-

for example- the B18C is jdm and could be either a type r or gsr

whereas the american counterparts are labeled B18C5 or B18c1 respectively

just as an example- you'll learn which motors were JDM only, american only and a mixture of both

read the reference section on all the motor codes and you'll start to see what I mean

I wouldn't look at just valve covers, they are way to easy to swap over.

Always look at the Motor Code, which is right by the slave cyclinder, and also the stamping on the head to see what cast head it is, and to see what year it was made.

Trannies have codes on them also.

Back