How diificult to install Coilovers??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bvtec

hi just wanted to know how difficult it would be to install coilovers and shocks on my car EG9 civic??
what tools will i need anybody know a site where it will guide me on what to do ??

I did a mini wrote up here, but I can't find it because I don't remember the title :( But it is pretty easy. I can do the front remove and replace in about an hour, but I have done it a few times.

Once you are under your car, remove the damper fork bolt that goes through the LCA, and the bolt that holds it to the shock (remove this bolt all the way) undo your brakelines from the shock, then unbolt the shock at the top in the engine bay. Then wiggle the damper fork off the shock, and remove/replace put everything back together, do the other side, and your done on the front.

On the rear pretty much the same thing. I remove the inner most LCA bolt from the chassis so you can slide the shock out (I have heard of people removing the LCA from the trailing arm side, but I don't like that way, personal preference). , and then the bolt the holds the shock to the LCA, then undo the bolts inside the car at the top, remove/replace/repeat.

will i need some of compressing tool to compress the springs or something on them lines or are just normal everyday tools enough,
and will i need new bushes because the bolts are pretty tight on them ive gotta a feelin they may snap.
thanks for your help

You will need a spring compressor to do it safely, yes. and you shouldn't need new bushings if your spring is compressed.

if your coilovers are REAL coilovers, like tein, fightex, n1, etc... then you will not need a spring compressor.

if you are putting adjustable springs that the rice world calls coilovers, then, yes, you will need a spring compressor,because you need to rob some parts from the stock setup to make it work.

you dont really need a compressor...it just makes a little easier/safer...you can easily decompress your springs by using an allen wrench and crecent wrench...at the top of the strut, you can see a nut, inside that nut, theres a place for an allen wrench...find the right size, stick in there...then find the right size crecent wrench (12mm i think), youve gotta loosen the nut with the cresent wrench...make sure you keep the allen wrench in the same position...the allen wrench help keep the gas shock from moving around w/ the nut...either do this with the strut still bolted to the car or removed...if you do it while its removed, work slowly and keep your foot on both the spring and the top black thing(not sure of the name) that holds the spring in...when you get the nut off enough, the spring might pop a little bit, but if you keep enough pressure/weight on the spring and black thing, you should be fine and injury free...i just did my coilovers yesterday...took about 1hr for all 4 corners

Back