How do I know if I need to rehone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ctrcivic

Hey guys I am replacing the block on my wife's EG since she snapped a rod. (don't ask I have no idea lol) Anyways I have a spare D Series block that has about 120kish miles on it. How do I tell if I need to toss a new hone or have the walls rebrushed etc? Figured while I had the motor apart I would replace the bearings and perhaps the rings if need be.

Thanks in advance guys......

how are the cylinder walls???can you see crosshatch on them????

but yea just give it a quick hone..just to make sure the rings set nicely

yeah I can still see the crosshatch in the cylinders...they look very smooth as well...in couple cylinders I can see some very minor wear vertically...but nothing I can actually feel......now at the top about a 1/8th inch where the piston rings reach there is a dark area that I can feel...seems like build up from over the years maybe? So from what I can see looks like I"m just going to toss her tranny and head on it and let her rock and if she ends up burning oil or something I can just spend a saturday pulling off the head and oil pan and do the the ring hone stuff I guess...I have heard of guys doing a "brush" hone but not familiar with it. Guess my only concern I have is the 1/8 of build up at the top of the cylinder walls

Thanks for the help thus far guys

Got the motor together and in the car...runs great. The only problem that I can find...if it is actually a problem is at idle it sounds like it has a small misfire /shrug. When you stand behind the car the idle doesn't sound as smooth as it should....it has more a puff puff puff puff sound rather than a constant rumble...if that makes since... could I have a plug that only fouls at low rpms? I checked them and they look fine. I have no codes either.

Good question...I don't have a timing light however I did loosen the distributor and adjusted it forward and backwards and got no change in the idle sound. Ignitions is something I haven't messed with alot. Also, not sure if this helps...but it has gotten cold and the past couple days the motor has to turn over 1 extra time to start...almost like it is misfiring there as well. Things would be much easier if it would toss me a code and bam fix it lol.

Back