how do i tell crx type hf dx ex si ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pfclyon

ok i got a crx 91 how do i tell what make it is cant find it on the car and i dont feal like takeing the the pistons out to see if its 8 v or 16 v any one know how to tell ????

first I'd have to ask you, does it have a wiper on the hatch and are the window cranks motorized or manual?

Last edited:
I think that all the windows were crank. My SI had crank windows. Is the car slow or does it have some pep? The hf did not have a lot of power. I would look at the engine. What does the intake manifold look like? If it says dpfi and has a black piece of plastic on the top of it (basically it looks like a carburetor) its the dx. If the intake manifold has really tiny runners its probably the hf. If the runners are a little bigger its probably the si. Can you post a decent picture of the engine? Also, do a search since i know this has been covered in the past.

easy... look at the engine code and it will tell you what it is.
D15B2---DX
D15B6---HF
D16A6---Si
the code is by the heather close to where the engine meets the transmission.

taken from this web site: http://asia.vtec.net/topics/enginecode.html

engcode1.jpg

engcode.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SI= rear disk brakes, MPFI intake, power sunroof
HF= rear drum, MPFI intake, no sunroof
DX= rear drum, DPFI intake, no sunroof

SI= rear disk brakes, MPFI intake, power sunroof
HF= rear drum, MPFI intake, no sunroof
DX= rear drum, DPFI intake, no sunroof

correction.. only the 91 SI had rear discs..

and as far as the engine codes go.. thats only good if the motor wasnt swapped out.. which is hard to come by now-a-days

What about where it says HF on the back corner??? Or Si??? It doesn't have any of that?
My car came completely stock, even with stock parts, like the timing belt and head gasket lol.
Besides, you can tell somewhat cosmetically too. Don't ask me exactly which pieces, but I can usually tell an Si from a HF. DX is just in the middle lol.
But check the engine mark like they said, they're smarter at this shit :D

First

First things First find out what motor you have. Whether or not you have discs or drums out back. Obviously you either have a sunroof or not. Then once you get there go into motor specs. MPFI? DPFI? There is also a D13 with a carberator. Usually only in Europe but hey cars are shipped overseas all the time. Hell look at mine. Once you have established this much, research you VIN number through the net or a Haynes manual and get the exact specs of what your car either came with and no longer has (see above checks) Then you should be able to tell what your car really is. Have FUN!!!!!!!!!

-TRU

And anyway, I don't know how durable the glue is!!! I don't take that shit off everyday, you know.
That reminds me, is there a better way to get the gooey shit off that comes from the bumper stickers and there's also paint stained on the inside of my hatch and back window. Just a quick suggestion, I don't want to steal this guy's attention!!!
Thanks!!!

WD 40 or a hair dryer for the sticky shit, as for the paint use a razor blade on hard surfaces and Oxy clean or simple green on fabric or plastic

"Gunk Off" or "Goof Off" or whatever it's called will work for the emblem/sticker residue as well. I've used it before for that purpose.

Last edited:
Back