How do you clean your engine bay?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I use industrial strength degreaser from work and a regular garden hose.:D

How about a steam cleaner? Some shops use them to clean underbodies before an undercoat. Steam will get anything off, especially the oil and grease. Can be directed well and doesnt soak the engine bay. Many people have household ones and arnt too expensive.

Use the tire shine stuff on the rubber (plastic, vinyl, rad hoses and such).

i've always used Simple Green and a power washer..

When I worked for honda we used a special degreaser that they sell called hondabrite, you cover the distributor, and or external coil with a plastic bag, sprayed the degreaser all over the engine bay, ran the engine to operating temp, with engine running rinsed engine off, then drove the car for a few miles to dry int off.

straight simple green and scrub with brisle brush. and pressure wash. be shure too never use any armerall product ,and that goes for everyone. if you ever want to re-paint your car and have it turn out with minimal work never use armerall

straight simple green and scrub with brisle brush. and pressure wash. be shure too never use any armerall product ,and that goes for everyone. if you ever want to re-paint your car and have it turn out with minimal work never use armerall

do you know what straight simple green does to paint and bare aluminum WOW :hmm:

your wrong on this aspect its silicone based products tire shine interior cleaner and many other automotive cleaning products even some wax that cause painting issues. And a profesional bodyshop will take all steps to remove these contaminates wether they think that they will be a problem or not this is all part of the proper steps to preping a car for paint. But you know this because every one of your post says that you are a profesional autobody tech and you dont know how to deal with silicone contamination WOW :eek: attention every one that he offers advice to

Last edited:
simple green does not damage paint unless it's fresh and if you dont wipe your wax n grese of corse you'll get paitn defects.i'l like to know whewre you went to college? smart guy

all thoes things you listed will come off with wax and grease as long as it's a solvent wax/grese but armorall you polish into your finish and can become inbeded into your paint and transfer from the grinder to your hands right back to the car or anything else you touch. i've worked in a profeshional shop and production painted. litterally everything can cause paint defects even smoking. you need to get your shit straight befor you insult someones carrer.

oohh yah and armerall has silicone in it if you were trained youd know that

.i'l like to know whewre you went to college? smart guy
your asking him where he went to college..i dont think you even went to your last couple years of highschool..your trying to trash on him but your spelling sucks just as bad

i went 3 years at ridgewater college in willmar minnesota (the 3rd year is just speciality classes) and graduated with a 3.928 gpa .........we dont work on computers or paper very often in this field so yes i am a shitty speller and a slow typer.

were getting way off topic this guy wants to know how to clean his engine bay with the motor still in the car i'm assuming. all the ways people have listed will work give or take some time differences. but in a bodyshop they use simplegreen. on a newer car that doesnt have alot of grese and oil they reduce it with water to save money. on realy dirty engine bays we do use straight simple green and a brush if the presure washer doesnt take it all off and the guy realy wants it clean.
i'll let the guy who posted this make his decision

and dont forget to cover your alternator and distributor with plastic

Well you told him not to use Armor All and didnt mention other products that contain silicone. When silicone is the reason that Armor All causes paint defects. You also told him if you use it you cant paint a car that its been used on which is dumb you just have to prep it properly (which should be done any ways). Also straight simplegreen can ruin paint very fast. Ive seen it happen. Im just saying that you are a new member with only 20 post and Im sure that at least 15 of them are telling some one how to do body work. :hmm:You would also think that with a name like the glass hatch and being a body man you might post some pics of your car that you painted

you are right i didnt mention alot of things i should of. i havent had a computer in 5 years and could bareley figure out how ot get the one pic i have up there. i am just sick of seeing so many shitty looking hondas so i thought i'd try to help.

and again with the simplegreen maybe if you dump a whole bottle and let it set in the engine bay of straight will it damage paint. we did it in college. but it takes quite a bit.

Back