How Do You Get A Jdm Engine Street Legal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

N810

I'm from California and I'm wondering what are the exact parts needed to get a JDM engine to pass emissions and all that stuff.

do a search on this site I've read many dicsussions on this issue and if you want the straight facts call your DOT someone will be able to tell you the legal aspects,local emissions check places might know also.........DOT is best bet

Ok, that clears things up for me. Thanks. Haha i remember looking at that topic i should've read that first before posting. DUH! :D

i am now hear that to make the swap legal in cali you need a USDM ECU, and a print out from honda that states that the ecu you have is in fact a USDM ecu. in the last year it has gotten really strict around here, and they are making a lot of obd1 cars convert to obd2...

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Jun 16 2003, 11:24 PM
, and they are making a lot of obd1 cars convert to obd2...

I don't think they can legally make the consumer foot that bill. If they are, then it is time for cali to fall in the ocean.

easy solution move out of cali
there is no way i could ever deal with all of that bullshit

Originally posted by N810@Jun 16 2003, 12:52 PM
I'm from California and I'm wondering what are the exact parts needed to get a JDM engine to pass emissions and all that stuff.

the main reason i decided to boost my y8 instead of getting a swap.
couldnt find a reasonably priced b16a2 in so cali.

so only other option was the jdmb16, which in fact, if you call 99.9% of the race shops out here
they just say "its a b16" and dont tell you about how it wont pass smog unless you do alot of shit to it.

nice guys huh?

p.s. food for thought. average prices i found for a b16a2 (usdm) ecu was around 5-600 dollar
NOT including all of the smog shit you will need to buy as well.
i give it around 1000-1500 more to be able to pass a jdmb16 in smog for cali.

and the DMV and DOT wonders why so many people are getting illegal smog done.
i know, smog in cali is bad....but before the DOT goes after the 19 year old kid with
his jdmb16 swap....

why dont they attack the fucking industries that pollute, then convert the mass transit system FULLY to
a non polluting fuel. then the government should work upon regulating themselves, for which it seems as if
all government vehicles are exempt from any and all smog laws, INCLUDING but not limited to, the big yellow
school buses, civil service vehicles...some of which happen to be from the early to late 80's.

the fucking california government should first police itself, then onto the industries THEN onto the cars.
:whatafucktard: :whatafucktard:

Originally posted by karnash@Jun 16 2003, 02:34 PM
and the DMV and DOT wonders why so many people are getting illegal smog done.
i know, smog in cali is bad....but before the DOT goes after the 19 year old kid with
his jdmb16 swap....

why dont they attack the fucking industries that pollute, then convert the mass transit system FULLY to
a non polluting fuel. then the government should work upon regulating themselves, for which it seems as if
all government vehicles are exempt from any and all smog laws, INCLUDING but not limited to, the big yellow
school buses, civil service vehicles...some of which happen to be from the early to late 80's.

the fucking california government should first police itself, then onto the industries THEN onto the cars.
:whatafucktard: :whatafucktard:

i am so with you on this one...

Back