how light should i go

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shfaster

sup everyone, i'm ordering a b16a2(for 94 civic coupe) by tomarrow, and i wanna get a clutch and flywheel to go with it. but i have read that the car needs the weight of the flywheel to pull the car after 3rd or higher speeds. so what im trying to decide is a for a car thats gonna be in the 15's, how light should i go. i know the stock flywheel weighs around 18lbs. also, i have never driven a car with a lighter flywheel, so how will it feel. i also know a lighter flywheel will rev faster. so what are the pros and cons cuz some people say there are no cons to a light flywheel. btw this car is goin all motor for now(and prolly gonna stay that way due to lack of funds). also, i have read good things about fidanzo flywheels, what about act prolight/streetlight and exedy. thanks everyone

I currently have a 12lb ACT FW, and I think its too heavy. Really doesn't take any skill to drive (except my dad stalled it 2 times trying to move it one day :lmao: ) I wish I would have gotten the Prolite vs the Streetlite. At the time, they were even the same price.

Not sure about the whole lower speed thing, never heard of that before, but that could deffently account for me only being able to hit 130 with a GSR swap.

Kaiten Super Kuru (sp?) makes a nice 8lb unit.. check into that.

lighter flywhell makes you bog more off the line....but you get revs... what are you willing to sacrifice?

Originally posted by SpodaB1@May 13 2004, 04:01 PM
order a 12lb flywheel, they are good for everyday use... not to light not to heavy... tis what Ima get.

I agree. I went an 8 lb. once on a b16a and my idle would drop really low at fast stops. besides, a 12 lb flywheel from stock is still very notiable in throttle response.

matt

It just takes a little bit of getting used to a light weight fly wheel. I have a 9lbs. one in my hatch I got it for super cheap so I run it. Personally I do not care for it in the d15b2. I will probably have a 10 or 11lbs fly in my B16 when I finish it at the end of the summer.

Originally posted by hybrid89@May 13 2004, 09:24 PM
oh yeah, stock b16 flywheel is 22-23 lbs.

nope, the stock b-series flywheel is 18lbs. The ITR one is 14lbs.

Back