How much will a clutch install cost me...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dohch22a4

My 10-year old OEM clutch is toasted so I need a new one. I'm looking at an Exedy organic disc from inlinefour for $250 + shipping. Is that a decent price? Also, how much would a shop charge me for the install? And how much would a machine shop charge me to resurface my flywheel?

30-40 to resurface the flywheel on average, and about 4.5 hours of labor. Translates to about 250 for the install plus the price for the flywheel resurfacing, on top of the price of the clutch. I'd want a bit more than just the organic disc for 250. Exedy is a great manufacturer, but I've heard some bad stuff about inline's customer service. Look around and see if you can find a better price. here's an example on ebay. Ebay Auction

Well, it's the whole clutch kit, organic disc, pressure plate, pilot and thrust bearings and alignment tool for $250. Inline was real cool with me and my Dad when we ordered my shocks from them. :shrug2:

wow- a good experience from inline whore. thats a first.

most clutch jobds will run 300-400 here... but thats at a dealer. a shop might be cheaper.

I found the same clutch kit on eBay for like $242 shipped UPS ground. How long does that take? A week? Longer?

dude .. in pa we take a day out of our time pull it in the garage and drop the tranny. withing a few hrs you have the tranny dropped and the new clutch in ... its not hard to do it yourself at all. bring your flywheel to a machine shop to be cut while you chillen at home drinking some beers with some buddies. 40 bucs to get cut at most. ..any help just ask. good luck or start calling up some shops to get a quote

The job pays 6 hours labor, at a dealer- figure at least 70.00 an hour. At least 400.00 at any reputable shop. I do them for cheaper now that I'm on my own, but once the shop grows and overhead does too it will have to go back up. The average independent garage is lucky to turn a 10% profit after all things have been accounted for.

:werd:

chris, seriously, get the ebay one with free shipping, pay the seller to overnight it, and grab some of your buddies and do it this weekend.

cause it really will cost you 300-500 in labor, and thats your JDM gauge cluster, hvac, clock, and amber corners.

Man you guys are throwing up some cheap quotes, here in California the going rate is about $80.00 an hour, and most clutch jobs run around 500+. It really depends on where you are the Bay Area in California, has some of the most expensive auto work rates in the country.

Reason # 0192837402748362820 why California suxors my boxors.

Scott, my dad is offering to pay for the install without me having to pay a dime. He's not offering to pay for the gauge cluster, corners, clock or HVAC is he? :)

The only weekend I'm gonna be home in the near future is Valentine's day weekend. Fri and Sat. I'll have to spend with the gurlie and Sunday I'll have to drive around Bonney Lake for 500 miles before I get on the freeway and speend four hours in fifth gear. It's a pain in the ass I don't want to deal with. I could do it- fuck, I did the swap with only two other guys- but I just don't want to and as far as I'm concerned, the labor cost is not an issue thanks to my dad liking to drive the car too.

I feel you. I strongly look forward to the day where I will never have to so much as change my own oil again. I can do a clutch job in my sleep but of my dad were going to pay for it.....actually, my broke ass would do it anyway and keep the money, but you get the picture. As far as labor rates go, when I worked for the dealer they were up to 70.00 at Honda and 80.00 for Acura in GA. Ohio was 90.00 for Acura...I'm still fucking baffled as to how we don't make any money in this business. :roll:

Strange. I know a few people that have the Exedy street kit and it has performed like a champ for a couple years already. Oh well. Too late now. It comes tomorrow at noon. :)

EDIT** Dude, ya think maybe it's because you're running a 65 shot? That clutch only has a 30% holding capacity over stock.

Carboy in houston wants 275
Jotech in garland wants 350
take it to your local drunk mech. he should do it for 150

Maybe in Cali it just cost more....

Originally posted by slammedb18acivic@Feb 3 2004, 11:00 PM
dude .. in pa we take a day out of our time pull it in the garage and drop the tranny. withing a few hrs you have the tranny dropped and the new clutch in ... its not hard to do it yourself at all. bring your flywheel to a machine shop to be cut while you chillen at home drinking some beers with some buddies. 40 bucs to get cut at most. ..any help just ask. good luck or start calling up some shops to get a quote

:withstupid:

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Feb 5 2004, 06:14 PM
Strange. I know a few people that have the Exedy street kit and it has performed like a champ for a couple years already. Oh well. Too late now. It comes tomorrow at noon. :)

EDIT** Dude, ya think maybe it's because you're running a 65 shot? That clutch only has a 30% holding capacity over stock.

dude you are thinking of the 75ZEX kit

:slap:

exedy is fuckin awesome. 2,000 + miles of me dogging the shit outta my b16 (spare the 500-mile sub-4krpm break in period) and it still grabs like a champ :D

Back