how the hell can i fix this?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

Yeah so I have no idea how to fix this- any ideas? and no that isn't my bondo work, it came like that

RearWheelWellSmall.jpg

QuarterPanel3Small.jpg

QuarterPanel2Small.jpg

Get a new car? lol j/k. I'd sand/file that garbage down to the bare metal/bondo, and then take it to a shop that can hammer ut the metal to a decent shape, and thenm get it repainted.

Is it just the lip, or is the rust througout the well?
If it just the lip, take a grinder and grind off the body rot. If you know a thing about welding, you can weld a new piece of sheetmetal and form a new lip, then repaint. Other than that, I'd say it's not worth the work. Just grind it smooth and paint over it.

it's rust through the well and lip- and yeah i was thinking about welding in a new piece of sheet metal, but i was also thinking about finding a car with a solid quarter panel that i cost cut off and then weld in the new piece

That is also a good idea. try that one if you can find an eg in the junkyard, which shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, your going to need a new quarter and possibly the inner wheel well also. I could help ya slap one on if you wouldn’t mind your car being outta commission for a while.

well, how about when you move out here, you can come stay at my house for the weekend and help me out y0 :)

i'll pay you in beer

Sure, im not going to have a damn thing to do besides work while im there, Im not going to know a soul. For that reason im perdicting a 8,000+ post count within a year :)
Edit-Theres still snow in PA? WTF?

xyswany, what welding process do you use to reattach the metal? I'm sure Tig is best, but Mig would probably be alright on a low setting, just tacking. You know more about this than me, and I'm curious.

At work we either use a MIG welder or a fancy ass spot welder. The spot welder is nice in some areas because you dont have to grind your weld, it doesnt produce too much heat and it looks like a factory spot weld. TIG welding is pretty rare in the auto body industry from what i've seen, it just produces too much heat and ends up warping panels. There is also some epoxy's that have been endorsed by GM, where you pretty much just glue the quarter panel on. I personally havent tried it because there is just too much liability.

Tig is low heat, and slow moving, but the fitup would have to be almost perfect. <1/16 of an inch. Any more than that, and you'll burn right through. A small sharp Tungsten is key there.

Thanks

you're going to need to cut out the cancer and reweld a new piece of sheet metal in there. i've seen it done before and it looks great but you need a really really good body shop to do that work for you....and some cash.

Back