How To Build Up?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prdtr15

I want to build up my prelude's(90 Si 2.1) engine to handle a turbo (t3/t4 possibly) but keeping the boost low for now, what do i need to do to build up the engine to handle the turbo? ANy help would be great, thanx!

You may want to start with getting your block resleeved. Then forged low comp. pistions and forged rods. (JE, Crower, etc...) This would give you a very strong bottom end. You could also put cams, springs, retainers, etc. You defintely need to get hondata and tune, tune, tune!

If you are trying to keep this to a minimum to save money, boost is not for you. Boosting that engine is not going to be cheap or easy as there is not a lot of aftermarket support for it.

Originally posted by Prdtr15@Jun 16 2003, 09:39 AM
whats the minimum i would have to do, and what is the cost of everything?

I don't believe there were many aftermarket parts made for that generation prelude. With that in mind, a complete turbo setup (built motor and turbo kit, etc..) would cost a lot more than, say a b16a/gsr turbo setup. So, you might want to consider another car (civic, integra, crx, whatever). That's just one option. If you did manage to find a turbo kit or piece togehter one, then with a high mileage motor( im guessing yours is because of the year '90) then your stock internals will only be able to handle low boost levels from a t3/t4. With building motors/turbo, nothing is going to be dirt cheap if done right with no shortcuts, and with shortcuts, they usually leave you in a deeper hole than when you started. HTH :D

Don't listen to these guys dude. I'm in the same boat as you. Call Race Engineering.
They sell:
Crower billet rods - TOTALLY UNBREAKABLE
Eagle forged rods (ask for H23 rods, thay are the same) - Good up to 18psi
Wiseco forged pistons - AWESOME
JE forged pistons - TOP QUALITY
When rebuilding the motor, only use a crankshaft that has not been 'turned'. You should find a crankshaft that has factory sized journals that are in perfect shape (very common).
Then use the correct Factory Honda bearings from the Honda dealership.
Honda or Fel-Pro gaskets are good as well.
This is off of Tom's website, Ludespeed.com
Go to his website, and read the SHIT out of it. You will pick up SOO much info about our bastard 3rd gens. Tom ran 9 psi I believe, with just an aftermarket fuel pump, and some tuning.

Unfortunately, we can't run Hondata since we are OBD0. I just learned this from Brian. The best we can do is run an Apexi S-AFC, which should be good enough since you won't be running THAT much boost.

:newbie: he said minimum and asked for the cost of everything so i'm thinking he wants to go cheap and building up your entire block isn't cheap. and "race engineering" isn't the only place that sells all that. thats just the only local shop that you know and you think they're hella cool! :D i don't even feel like typing so i won't say everything i was gonna say so i'll just leave it at that. damn n00b

Gen2...chill...the...fuck....out. 1st of all, I was replying to dc's post that said it would be hard to find parts. Well, guess what, that was one that I found off of TOM'S WEBSITE WHICH I MENTIONED IN MY POST. Perhaps, you can read a little more carefully before spazzing out and thinking you're the shit because you have a whopping 180 posts, or whatever reason you have for thinking you're just that damn cool and can actually call ANYBODY a noob.
2nd of all...well I guess it goes back to this whole reading thing, because I also mentioned in my reply that Tom was able to run 9 psi off of just a fuel pump, and some tuning. That would be a cheap route, wouldn't it Gen2? Cause I remember you giving me shit for not telling him the cheap route to build his engine up, and it's right there in my post gen2, telling him how to go the cheap route for the engine build. Will this work if I say something and rephrase it in different ways? Or perhaps, I should just type all this again, because it would be simple enough to just copy/paste this a dozen more times so you can read it a dozen more times and JUST maybe it'll soak into your thick fucking skull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back