How to check LSD working good/faulty ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hi guys,
need help on this topic on how to check the LSD whether it woking good or faulty condition ?
cause my LSD when car running slow time without press fuel pedal it got sound like " kerk...kerk..kerk..."
like gear knocking each others .dunno whether is this normal ?
Thank you .

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 16 2004, 12:14 PM
If it's a clutch style LSD, you could just be running the wrong kind of fluid.
[post=432969]Quoted post[/post]​

hi, I am using AMOIL LSD gear oil with 75/90 viscosity . any kind of fluid you can recommend ?

I would stick with the real Honda MTF, then use Trans-X friction modifier if you're using a clutch style LSD. Helical LSDs won't work if one wheel is off the ground (don't need friction modifier) but clutch LSDs will work if one wheel is off the ground. That might be an easy way for you to see what kind of LSD you have.

:)

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 17 2004, 02:04 AM
I would stick with the real Honda MTF, then use Trans-X friction
modifier if you're using a clutch style LSD. Helical LSDs won't work if one
wheel is off the ground (don't need friction modifier) but
clutch LSDs will work if one wheel is off the ground.
That might be an easy way for you to see what kind of LSD you have.

:)
[post=433181]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, mine one type clutch LSD`s , full lock .

that gear oil is to high a rating for a honda tranny, I kno from personal experience, had to have mine rebuilt, talked to the guy who did it and he told me that he rebuilds trannys all the time that have gear oil and not honda or regular motor oil in them. just like calesta said run the honda stuff or just regular 10-30 oil

I would run the real Honda MTF with LSD friction modifier additive. Honda actually sells "differential fluid" for their LSDs. Ask for it at the parts counter.

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 17 2004, 12:14 AM
I would run the real Honda MTF with LSD friction modifier additive. Honda actually sells "differential fluid" for their LSDs. Ask for it at the parts counter.
[post=433536]Quoted post[/post]​

Does the b series tranny have a seperate sump for the diff? I thought it all shared the same fluid. Please respond.

i know a good way to test it. Go outside, start your car, drive it to a flat level area, pull up the ebrake, rev it to about 6k, dump the clutch, drive forward a bit, look on the ground, if there are 2 strips of rubber on the ground your LSD is working.:thumsup:

No seriously, I agree with the others use Honda MTF. I'm not sure if the fluids are seperated either. My next choice for fluid would be redline, I used that stuff in my old 944 and it worked wonders.

Originally posted by friz+Dec 17 2004, 09:01 PM-->
@Dec 17 2004, 12:14 AM

Does the b series tranny have a seperate sump for the diff? I thought it all shared the same fluid. Please respond.
[post=433960]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope its all in the same fluid. The Diff fluid that Honda sells is for rear diffs found on some CRVs and MDXs. With my Kaaz, I used 1 quart if Friction Modified Syncromesh and the rest MTL, and it never chattered or made any noise, it felt 100% the same as the expensive Kaaz LSD oil.

Originally posted by nfn15037+Dec 17 2004, 09:03 PM-->
Originally posted by friz@Dec 17 2004, 09:01 PM
Calesta
I would run the real Honda MTF with LSD friction modifier additive.  Honda actually sells "differential fluid" for their LSDs.  Ask for it at the parts counter.

Nope its all in the same fluid. The Diff fluid that Honda sells is for rear diffs found on some CRVs and MDXs. With my Kaaz, I used 1 quart if Friction Modified Syncromesh and the rest MTL, and it never chattered or made any noise, it felt 100% the same as the expensive Kaaz LSD oil.
[post=433982]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the reply, I have a little over 1400 miles on my swap now and I didn't wan't to hear that I had been running my diff empty.

Originally posted by nfn15037+Dec 17 2004, 10:03 PM-->
Originally posted by friz@Dec 17 2004, 09:01 PM
Calesta

[post=433982]Quoted post[/post]​

The syncromesh is the gm stuff right?

Back