how to:checking idle air contol valve(IAC)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trini

can someone tell me how to check my idle air control valve to see if it is functioning properly,my car isnt idling properly so i want to see if it is this,thanks.

The first question is are you getting a code 14 for the EACV?? or any code?? .If not please describe idle problem.
Pappy

Go to Advanced Auto or Auto Zone and getting a manual. It will tell you and help out in the long run with other DIY problems.

ok i saw an article on this site telling me how to check to see if my idle air control valve at the back of my throttle body is working properly,when i disconnected the plug that jacks into this unit the car jus cut off,and the article said if you unjack the plug the car should increase idling speed,so i thought that was my problem,but i asked one of my friends with an engine like mine to try it also and his car cut off too,so i dont know now whats going on.I have checked for vacumm leaks ,found none,didnt check my throttle body yet,dont think its that,could it be that my head gasket is blown ,i am losing a little water,nothing much,have you ever heard about head gaskets blowing and causing this kinda problem without causing the car to overheat? sorry for being so long man,but thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

This is always hard to do with email.....I was asking what the engine is doing that you think you have an idle problem?? Is the check engine light on and if so what code is showing ? If the light isn't on, what symtoms of poor idle do you have?
The code for EACV problem is "14" . To check EACV turn ignition off, unplug EACV harness and check resistance of the terminals on the EACV with an ohmmeter. It should read between 8-15 ohms. Then check from each terminal of the EACV to ground. There should be NO Continuity...in other words it should show an open circuit or infinate ohms.
If your losings small amount of coolant be sure to check all the small coolant line running to the EACV ,etc on the manifold ( they look like vacume lines) also there is a gasket on the bottom of some of the EACV's that can leak. It only takes a small loss under hot (pressure) conditions to add up to a noticable loss of coolant.
Pappy

--------------------

Never to old for SPEED

Back