how to deal with Humidity?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ssl2k

Yeha so the humidity is in the 90% range today. and I need to clear coat some crap. the only "paint booth" I have access too is using my garage. I then just setup a box fan and run that for my vent system.

When the humidity is high, what does it do to the paint? I know you're suppose to paint under 60%, but if you paint above it, what does it do to the paint, does it make it brittle or not dry, or does it cloud or something like that?

Also, what are some ways I can get rid of the water in the air homemadme style? I dont have the cash to fork out for a dehumidifier so any ideas are welcome.

nathan

i think as long as you paint it inside your garage it wont be that bad...well do it and tell us whats happens =p

i also heard if u got blocks of dry ice and place them about your garage it will help...dont qoute me on that..its only what iv heard

They sell small inline dryers that you put between the hose and gun that would reduce moisture(There about the size of a golfball). Also when your dealing with a hot humid day paint tends to cure too fast and cause solvent pop (looks like a ton of little dirt specs) The only cure for this is a slower reducer or wait for night time.

i noticed that i had some water in my lines...that is why i am getting solvent pop.(fish eyes?)

I will wait for tonight when it cools off or possibly tomorrow morning.

lol...it is hard to get up before noon.

nathan

Solvent pop and fish eyes are two different things but water could cause a fish eye looking problem. Try draining your compressor and go to a auto body supply store for the inline dryer.

:werd:
I prefer to paint on warm days, but you do have to use a slow reducer and move a little quicker. I haven't had a problem with moisture, but I use an air water seperator every time, not far from the gun. For repeatability, I try to paint between 70-75 degrees. Just don't paint when it's cold.

tab, what is the humidity on the days that you paint though?

nathan

the humidity in the air shouldnt afffect the paint much if any, like has been said tho just use a slower reducer, and also be sure the reducer you ar using is corresponding with the temp in the room where you are painting, this will have a great affect on how the paint flows out. generally the warmer the better for painting, other than it gets miserable to do if its to hot and your doing alot of painting. i like about 80 degrees.

i like it a little cooler i find that paint sprays better and the humidity drops. if your worried about the temp paint yearly am or late at night and for ventalation throw a furnace fillter over the fan to help novk some of the spray out of the exaust

Originally posted by ssl2k@Jul 19 2004, 09:48 PM
tab, what is the humidity on the days that you paint though?

nathan
[post=365510]Quoted post[/post]​

humidity is generally pretty high in my area. Not like Florida or anything, but I live 5 minutes from the river and 25 from the beaches of Washington. I remember people telling me about humidity affecting a whole bunch of things. Like driver1 said, it hasn't ruined a paintjob for me yet. It does fuck with my bodywork, so I have to be careful. If I'm not in a heated shop(65+), then metal starts rusting within a day or so. This means I have to seal any bodywork I do in my own garage, or start over. <_<

I prefer the shop to be at least 70 degrees, but not over 80 when I spray. This also helps me repeat the spraying conditions later if need be.

Back