How to hook up shift light.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Do I need a safc or hondata to hook this thing up? if not what do i hook the wires to?

There's a green, red and black wire. I'm assuming black is for ground. Where would red and green go to?

Thanks for any help.

ps if this is in the wrong forum, sorry. :)

btw NotUr... I got it like forever ago... I think I sent you a PM but here's a pic. Thanks. :)

ShiftLight.jpg

i'd assume that red goes to power, black to ground and the green to somewhere in the wires going to the tach..

blah... i knew this was in the wrong place. looked right at first...anyway...

I found a pdf on autometer.com... should be good to go.

solder all yer connections and red just goes to power, black to neg, and run the green wire directly into your dizzy to your coil. This will g ive you the best reading for true rpms of the motor....(the green wire goes to the neg side of the coil. make sure it is directly to the coil...inside the cap...mkae a notch and you'll be set.

nathan

Originally posted by ssl2k@Aug 5 2004, 01:32 AM
the green wire goes to the neg side of the coil. make sure it is directly to the coil...inside the cap...mkae a notch and you'll be set.
[post=372880]Quoted post[/post]​

yeap, but is that shiftlight for only 4 cylinders or does it work for 6 and 8? if so, you'll have to cut two wires, like I did on my Proform shiftlight.

It's a multi light, works on 4 6 and 8. what do you mean cut wires?

well if it's set for 8, it's going to read double of the true RPMs I believe. This will make the light go off at half of the point you want. Something different has to be done with that green wire, or with something else. The power/ground wires go the same place no matter what. It's impossible to know without seeing the wiring diagram/manual for the certain light. They are all different.

wouldnt the distributor turn at the same rate for both motors anyways(half the speed of the crankshaft)

well, an 8cyl distributor has to fire twice as many plugs in one rotation than does a 4cyl. I'm not sure what that means for the voltages. I know for a tach you definitley have to do it differently. Without knowing how that light works in particular, I have no clue. You could be right.

just read the instructions that it has with it as far as setting it up for a 4//6/8. a v8 will show half the rpms and a v6 2/3s of the real rpms.

i almost blew up my damn motor the night that i put my tach/shift light in because i had it set at the v6 setting.

wire it up according to my other instructions.

as far as the 4/6/8 there should either be a thing on the side wehre you can select the # of cylinders or there should be 3 little loops of wires. if yours has the clicker selector thingy, then just set it to the right number of clyinders. if it is the few different loops of wire, then you'll need to i believe it is autometer.com and search for there tachs/ w shift lights and they explian which wires to clip.

nahtan

the 4,6,8 is on the back. There's a howto on autometer.com telling me where everything should go. I just need to get some wiring so i can run it through the grommet I ran my power wire through... then i gotta mount the light someplace you can't see it from the outside.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Aug 6 2004, 09:58 PM
the 4,6,8 is on the back. There's a howto on autometer.com telling me where everything should go. I just need to get some wiring so i can run it through the grommet I ran my power wire through... then i gotta mount the light someplace you can't see it from the outside.
[post=373630]Quoted post[/post]​

a/c vent yO!!

i thought tachs run off how fast the pulses are coming from the dizzy. ive seen(on horsepower tv) v8s still use a trigger in the dizzy; usually points type(they converted it to a halls i think).

Originally posted by 90 accord+Aug 7 2004, 02:19 AM-->
revolution8k
@Aug 6 2004, 09:58 PM
[post=373630]Quoted post[/post]​

a/c vent yO!!
[post=373706]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not running the wires through the ac vent. I still have a few of the panels left off so it'll be easier to hide them that way.

stop bumping old ass threads with your damn tach problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back