How To Make My B18a Rev To 7500

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ractive78

How I could I make my ls handle 7500 safetly, without changes pistons, and rods. I'm willin to sacrifice idle, and low end. And how much would it cost?

Thanks

its not realistic with a stock bottom end and stock head.

mainly the stock head is what limits you...

You would need a new head, preferably one that says DOHC VTEC on the cover--then with skunk2 valves, valve springs, retainers--it's not hard, A Z6 can rev to 7200

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Mar 17 2003, 10:13 PM
You would need a new head, preferably one that says DOHC VTEC on the cover--then with skunk2 valves, valve springs, retainers--it's not hard, A Z6 can rev to 7200

My z6 goes to 7500 stock, then rev limiter kicks in. I have bounced off it twice, and no damage that I know of. Well the 2 times were accidental. Hit brake and gas at same time :rolleyes:

If you are going out and spend a lot of cash to buy new cams springs and retainers why not first buy a vtec head that is in need of a rebuild and start with the better platform

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra+Mar 18 2003, 12:18 AM-->
Afipunk21
@Mar 17 2003, 10:13 PM

My z6 goes to 7500 stock, then rev limiter kicks in. I have bounced off it twice, and no damage that I know of. Well the 2 times were accidental. Hit brake and gas at same time :rolleyes:

well, the redline is 7200, it can always go over that by about 400-600, with the exception of a Pontiac :
pontiac.jpg

yeah, ive hit mine so many times, its not funny in my ls. i want a vtec head then push it up to 8500 rpms with valves and springs etc.......build my bottom end to. :ph34r:

the top end of the motor doesn't dictate how fast the engine can spin just how well it breathes. the bottom end controls that. the engine isn't able to spin high rpms due to bad r/s. if you want the engine to spin 9k rpm safely, fortify the bottom. the b18a were only meant to spin up about 7500 safely. the b18b is slightly more due to its forged internals, it goes to 8k safely. not to say you can't rev to more than those levels though. don't think for one minute that you strap a vtec head on and it can magically spin more rpm either because it can't and stay together. if you want more rpms change the rods, pistons, and get a cylinder brace. if you want wild get the thing resleeved with better ones because sideloading is a bitch.

putting on a vtec head doesnt mean it would spin any faster. vtec just broadens its power band.

Back