How to make the mold for a fiberglass dash?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yo guys,

I've been kinda looking around on the internet trying to figure out how to make custom fiberglass dash's and speaker box's for the trunk and stuff.... can't really get it all figured out. I kind of understand that they make the mold out of foam or something like that, then they put the fiberglass over that...

Anyone have a link to a guide on it? or a dvd you can buy that teaches you? or anyone done it themselves?

I dont want any smart ass answers... Ive asked this before and people all say something gay like "woodshop and blah will teach you that" if you dont know how and dont want to help... dont be a dick about it.

Thanks guys

there are only two good ways to do it, and the wood working way is much easier and it usually looks better.

basically you make the wood version of your dash, you cover it in your fiberglass material and then "paint" it down with your resign. you can use fiberglass patches (not sure what they are called) to make the structure a little more solid. really its an art forum just like any other. ive only done it once and its worse than falling into the pink stuff in your attic. after you get all that stuff done you go to the sanders. hand and electric sanders help you smooth the fiberglass down and then you can paint it after your done. Its interesting, but if you want a completely custom dash its the best way to do.

The other way is sculpting with styrafoam. you basically shape the styrafoam like you want the dash, cover the foam in your material and repeat above procedure. hope you have fun. there is a lot of money to be made if you are REALLY good at fiberglass work.

Back