How to port a JDM ITR header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
Ok, stock the JDM Integra Type-R headers come welded on the inside of the flange, and just a couplea spot welds on the outside. This has GOT to kill the flow somewhat, so I decided to do something about it. First, I welded the runners to the flange on the outside. After welding the outside, I took a pneumatic dremel and got to work grinding down the inside of the runners. Took me about 45 minutes per runner to grind it, then around 5-10 per runner to polish it with a battery Dremel. It's not perfect, but it'll flow a LOT better without that weld on the inside.

gallery_24518_1_1103070414.jpg

ehh...
gallery_28741_116_1102368338.jpg

Yours is a little choppy, It's actaully gonna fuck up the flow, it will flow a little better but it's gonna be directed in all different directions and shit. I think you should go back at it and try to smooth it out a little more.

looks good to me, but I know the welds have to be really strong where the pipes connect to the flange. Ive seen a couple aftermarket type r headers that have blown a hole where the pipes connect to the flange. 1 is the powercore jdm type R, and the other one was a DC one.
I think you left the welds inside partially intack, but just grinded them down so they were smooth, correct?

Yours is a little choppy, It's actaully gonna fuck up the flow, it will flow a little better but it's gonna be directed in all different directions and shit. I think you should go back at it and try to smooth it out a little more.

The exhaust is going one direction....out. I polished the runners so they're perfectly smooth, you can't really tell in the pics.

And yeah, we left the welds partially intact, we just smoothed them out. The outer welds are there for support.

Looks good, you shouldve ran your car with it as is then port it and give us a butt dyno.

Don't forget that the whole inside is going to be covered in carbon anyways, so surface texture isn't going to make much of a difference.

lol it might be used to an advatange for the first 200 miles .. by the time your done with the breakin period your header will be carboned up and your polishing made useless

:slap:

you're wrong. The ITR headers have a weld on the INSIDE of the header, that sticks about 2mm into the tubing. I'm not going to get 2mm of carbon buildup anytime soon.

Welcome to about 2 years ago.....

NEways......

Great MOD for the JDM ITR header, it's just a bitch grinding down the original TIG welds and making them nice. Makes nice LOUD noises and drives the neighboors NUTS when doing them.

As for "but if it hindered power..... blah blah blah", it's been proven to add 10+ WHP just from porting the manifold.

Wow. That's a big jump- but nothing surprising, considering how much the welds block flow right after the flange.

Back