How to replace a lower ball joint boot?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
I was wondering if anyone can point me to a write up or has any info about how to replace a lower ball joint boot, specifically for a 2000 civic?

I replaced an axle over the summer & inadvertently broke the boot. The ball joint is still fine & has no play but I wanted to get this done before the winter.
Please include tools & pics are a plus if possible.

My assumption is to take off some sort of clip that must be holding on the boot, install new boot & add grease. If that is the way to do it, what tool do you need to take off the clip? How do you add the grease?
My fear is that you need to take out the balljoint in order to replace the boot...
If so, I'd might as well replace the balljoint which is what I'm trying to avoid...

just get a complete new ball joint there cheap,. there is a big c clip holding it on there its really hard to see but its there buy your self a tool for that clip why your at the part store

I'd rather just replace the boot. The ball joint is fine, just needs a new boot. I don't want to mess with pressing out/in a new LBJ if it's fine.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips/experience with replacing the boot like taking off the clip & adding grease & installing new one. I didn't want it to get messy & have problems.

can you even buy just the boot?

As far as replacing it, it should be easy. I would asume just pull the old one off (in that process you will find out if anything is holding it on) and replace with a new one.

i dont think you can just replace the boot, ive always just spent the 10 bucks and got a new one its cheaper that way and better

where you geting new balljoints for $10 i want some. Yes you can get just the boot and they are easy to replace. I would pack it full of grease when you install the new boot. no special tools needed.

Jack up and Secure Car

1. Remove wheel
2. Remove cotter pin in lower ball joint
3. Remove 17mm nut holding ball joint in controll arm
4. Take ball joint out of lower controll arm
5. Remove boot from ball joint
6. Pack full of grease
7. Install new boot
8. Put ball joint back in lower controll arm
9. Install 17mm nut on ball joint torque to 36-43 ft lbs
10. Install new cotter pin do not reuse old one and use nothing but a cotter pin that fits properly
11. Put wheel back on car torque lugnuts to 80ft lbs
12. Take car off jack stands and drive happly

k i just checked and there 20 lol off by 10

Back