HOw to replace distributor cap rotor???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Teambypass

Recently my car kept choking and missed fire. I took the cap off, and it has about half life but the life of the rotor is nearly gone. I couldnt figure out how to take the rotor off and replace with the new one. I never ran into replacing the rotor before and honestly do not know how to take it off, could someone tell me how? thanks

Super easy on every honda I have done, the rotor is held on by one philips head screw...unscrew it, put new rotor on, the shaft is keyed so it only goes on one way, screw is back in, your done.

hmmmmmmm...sounds easier than done. I took the two screws on top of the distributor off and the rotor still help in place. I even took the distributor itself off so it would be easier to figure out how to take the rotor off, bit tjos cause oil to leak and I still coundt take the rotor off, so I put the distributor back on and seal the leak. Is the screw located under, on top or on the side. thanks...I am really appreciated this...

Sorry for the confusion, but maybe I approached the situation in the wrong way. I unscrewed the three screws in order to take the cap off. From here, there is a cap or cover that covered the electronic inside. It is impossible to take the rotor from this point unless this cover is off since this cover is block by the rotor, and after this cover is off, the screw that held the rotor in place should be easy to get out. This cover is loose and I couldnt seen to get it off, how do you get this cover off. thanks

the rotor has to be oriented in a certain way to reach the screw. crank your motor over and check it... if you can't see the screw, crank it and repeat until you can access the screw.

The black cover, which is the distributer cap, is held in by three screws...if you cant see the rotor screw, crank the motor over until you can see the rotor screw. I would think that the rotor would have to be positioned in the same way before you put the distributer back on the head if you took the distributer off. If you take the distributer off you must put a rag at the end of the camshaft where it came off because the oil that helps lubricate things there will leak out.

already got the chilton manual. Thanks guys for the tips...I finally found where the screw that help the rotor located and its not necessary to take the cap cover off to access this screw. Whoever installed the screw in, overtighten it and I busted the screw but fortunately, I was able to get it off. thanks....

Back