How to start up a Local AutoX Even??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

My home town has no AutoX events and I know a few kids that race down in DesMoines (30 miles away), but I'd like to race in town. Then we could have events every weekend. But, since its not already set up...how would I go about getting permission to run an event @ my old HS parking lot or whatever? I know I would need to contact the police and get permission from whoever's property we would be racing on, but how would I go about doing this? Is it even possible? I know Solo2 is SCCA monitored, so do you need to be a certified SCCA race coordinator or something?

you don't have to be a part of solo2 or the scca to hold an event.

the bigge4st thing you need to do, is a:
get a $1,000,00 insurance policy

and then, you need to get permission to use the lot
trash control, crowd control, rules, pits, etc, and then, you need a laser beam timer, a PA system, a shit load of cones, and people to help class/tech inspect/ and so on every single car.

its a LOT of work.
you will need at LEAST 10 people working per 50 to pull it off i'd say.

30mi isnt THAT far to go Auto-Xing, i bet if you go out there and ask them, most of the people have driven farther than that to get there.

when i go to rally-x some guys drive more than 2 hours to get there, i myself drive about 1.5hrs

the most important thing to think about is how many people will actually show up

lazy fuck.

65 miles to where i autocross. every other sunday. suck it up.

Yeah, but they have like 2 events all summer :( There arn't any "weekly" races arround there. I'm just finishing the CRX for autoX season and i want to fucking race!!!!!!!!!

If we just got permission, do you think they'd let some friends and I just do an amateur AutoX thingy...or is that illegal. We could just hand time stuff (or build one, one of my friends that AutoX's is a god with electronics and he's made stuff like this before!) Would I need to get police support if we're racing on private property? I'm just throwing arround Ideas because I want to be able to AutoX legally :p

Oh yeah, I'm not looking to have 87348572034752345 people show up. Maybe like 20 and just have some fun for a day :)

Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 24 2005, 01:58 AM
Well, to run one does it have to be SCCA approved? Couldn't I do my own thing, but use their rules?
[post=465501]Quoted post[/post]​

If you owned your own, paved parking lot you could do whatever you liked. If you don't, you likely can't get the needed insurance REQUIRED to convince someone to let you use their lot.

However, if you could sell a freezer to an Eskimo, anything's possible :D

Well....damn. I guess I'll just have to find an abandoned parking lot somewhere and steel some caution cones and hope I don't get arrested while practicing :p

Back