How to tell a subwoofer is blown?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
I have a 12 inch alpine type-r with an alpine amp. I was cleaning my car out and i removed the box and such and when putting it back in i noticed some of the seal torn from the sub. I took a quick video of it without playing music.

Video of Blown Subwoofer - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And then i took a video of it playing a Jay-Z song with a good amount of bass.

Video of Subwoofer with bass - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I dont think that is normal, and i know it is not supposed to sound like that. I wonder if i get some silicon sealant and go around the whole rim of the sub and give it a day or to to bond. Whats your thoughts? Oh and these videos are from my cell so give me a break :)

First, only push on the center of the cone. When you push on the edges you're hearing the coil rubbing against the pole piece / magnets. It doesn't seem to be "blown" when you pushed on the center - there wasn't any scraping indicating a blown coil.

I would get some CA glue to fix the surround->cone problem.

I bought some GE brand Lexan sealant/adhesive. Alpine recommended that over the phone. It is a clear sealant that has a strong bond to it. If that doesnt fix the issue alpine will send me a new one if i can find the receipt :) It still hits very hard, but it sounds like my license plate is rattling but it is just that rubber seal hitting the cone.

Dont put any more music through it until you get that fixed. Having the rubber loose on one side will scratch up the pole/magnets and you're speaker will definently be screwed then.

I pulled it out of my car after that video. I applied a layer of that adhesive between the cone and rubber. Then i sealed the sub up with some additional sealer. I am giving it till tomorrow night to dry then trying again.

Ah!! Don't tap too hard. Metal cones are bitchy about anything you try to do with them.

Back