how to transfer data from one computer to another?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
i have a bunch of pics that i want to transfer from my laptop to my PC. i would just upload them to my email or something, email them to myself, and then download them to the new computer, but its like 100+ pics and i dont want to do that.

can i just hook the two computers together via a usb cable? will i be able to do a straight copy this way?

just get a cat5 crossover cable, and make sure both computers share the same workgroup and share out your drive.

sounds complicated, lol. what do you mean share the workgroup?

will the USB cable thing work? like when you hook up a camera or iPod via USB it sees it as a drive that you can copy/paste. can you do that with computer to computer?

external usb drive is easiest, or the crossover as chris suggested.

it looks like a regular network cable (cat5) but the wiring is different, as its designed to go computer to computer, not computer to router/switch/etc.

then, use the xp network manager, set up advanced connection, computer to computer, and then make sure both computers are in the same workgroup name (default is mshome).

then, right click on your c: drive icon from mycomputer, choose sharing/secuirty, and share the drive so you can paste onto it from the other machine.

Out of all of the above, I would say if u can use a USB flash drive. And no, you cant use a USB cable to connect two computers. Or use what you said, ipod, camera, etc... to copy and paste and transfer.

B i dont have XP, i run 2000.

but yea i think ill go with the jump drive idea (forgot about that). just thought the usb to usb idea would work, lol.

Back