Hp Question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rmb2k

Stock, my car has 125 hp, right?? Well, I have on it a: K&N air filter, performance headers & cat-back exhaust by HPRacing. Shouldn't that give me a little extra hp???....like maybe at least 15 more hps? Well, just out of curiousity a timed myself at 1/4 mile. It wasn't a very good day, it was about 80+ outside. Anyhow, I did it in 17.25sec. So, according to the hp calculator on the internet...I only have about 92.something hp. Is that accurate? I have a kit on my car, but I didn't figure that would make much difference. Anyways, just wondered.

Ryan

ps- I uploaded a few pictures of my car on the site. "rmb2k's civic"

yes your car has 125 hp stock. 15 hp with I/H/E may be pushing it especially if your intake is not cold-air. Im not sure what calculator you used, but that might be calculating your whp. The best "calculator" is the dyno.

Hondas HP ratings are at the flywheel, not the wheels. So you have 124hp -10-15% through drivetrain loss. On line HP calculators do not configure driver skill, driver error, and endless other variables. They produce hypothetical numbers based on your input.

Not trying to be mean, but the stuff you have on your car is garbage. I'm assuming you just put in a panel filter, a pacesetter header and got an hp racing catback. Look into an AEM cold-air intake, a good 4-2-1 header or maybe 4-1 depending on what you want out of the car. I would also sell that exhaust and look into a better brand. Look to spend @ $500 just for your exhaust. You might have actually LOST power with that setup.
If you are looking to get more power out of that sohc motor, ask around, or do a search. There are many people on this board who can tell you a cheap, reliable way to work more power out of that motor. If a swap is your thing, save up and do lots of reserch first. Either way, this is a great spot to learn! Please just don't waste any more money on parts that don't do anything... ;)

17.25, wtf? A stock DX runs 17 seconds. Anywho, get a full cold air intake, a stainless steel header and a good cat-back exhaust system.

or swap something with more power in to have a better starting point.

Milan

ok....so what time should it be running, assuming it was stock? It's not a pacesetter header, it's and HP Racing header. Anyways, I'm not to worried about those parts being garbage. It wasn't my money that bought them. Tomorrow I'm going to the bank to get a loan for the swap, and those parts will be no good anyways. What I want to do is get a twin exhaust setup. The kit on the car has two spots for mufflers on both sides. I would like to get some Racing Medallions....is this a good idea or am I just putting more garbage on my car. The guy at the shop said he could make a custom "y-splitter." But I don't want to do anything else until after the swap. So, is there a certain type of I/H/E I need to get that will work with the GSR motor??? My loan will be for $5k, so that's pretty much my budget.

Originally posted by rmb2k@Jun 12 2003, 12:44 AM
ok....so what time should it be running, assuming it was stock? It's not a pacesetter header, it's and HP Racing header. Anyways, I'm not to worried about those parts being garbage. It wasn't my money that bought them. Tomorrow I'm going to the bank to get a loan for the swap, and those parts will be no good anyways. What I want to do is get a twin exhaust setup. The kit on the car has two spots for mufflers on both sides. I would like to get some Racing Medallions....is this a good idea or am I just putting more garbage on my car. The guy at the shop said he could make a custom "y-splitter." But I don't want to do anything else until after the swap. So, is there a certain type of I/H/E I need to get that will work with the GSR motor??? My loan will be for $5k, so that's pretty much my budget.

dual exhaust on a inline 4 is more than worthless. it's just gonna add more weight to your car, and you'll probably end up with a ghetto rigged setup. if i were you, i'd ditch the kit too, but to each their own. get an AEM CAI or an iceman intake, header and exhaust are really up to you, i'm sure a bunch of other people will chime in with their opinions.

i heard if u do that custom y exaust setup than u lose alot of low end power because of back pressure....

Dude, just stick to a mandrel bent catback (Greddy, HKS, DCSports,Apexi,etc..)don't do dual exhaust. That's really for the V-8 guys running true duals. AEM CAI only way to go IMO for intake. Suggestions for your header (DCSports, Greddy, ITR.etc...) With any combo of those on your gsr motor you should be able to squeeze some decent hp out. Maybe look into some time on a dyno also. HTH :D

5k is plenty of money to dump into your civic... You will be very happy if you actually go through with it. Make sure you get the GSR tranny if not the ITR with LSD. Definetly go with the AEM cold air. They just came out with a new version of it too... the V2 I think. As a basic rule of thumb (not the wife beating rule), the more expensive parts are better. Greddy, DC, Apex, Skunk 2, are all good companies for header/exhaust.
Do NOT get "dual" exhaust. As Afipunk pointed out, you only have ONE header. Why would you need two exhaust pipes? (Fuck the kit. If you want to look good and go slow these are not the people to ask) Let us know when it goes in and keep up the good questions...

sohcslammer,

you said to make sure and get the GSR tranny...on HMO, it only says that it comes with a hydrolic tranny (S80, Y80). I'm assuming that is the one I need. It also says that for $300 more, I can get an optional LSD tranny. Can someone tell me what this is exactly and if it would be a good idea to get??

Yes the (S80/Y80) tranny, which is the one that comes with the gsr full swap, is what you need. The LSD equipped tranny is for better traction. LSD means limited slip differential.

Back