hub centric or lug centric?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

so I was asking someone about the wheel spacers that I picked up last week that are flat on the wheel side (they are H&R 5mm) and whether the hubs would still stick out far enough to center the wheels with the spacers on and I was told that it wouldn't matter because Hondas are Lug centric

is this correct?

will I experience any problems running spacers that cover up the hub?

I just want to figure some of this stuff out before I just through all this crap on my car and figure it out the hard way

thanks

i can tell you my experiences with hondas

they are hub centric, all cars are hub centric actually...

the lugs are only suspossed to be used to clamp the rim to the hub...

the studs/lugs aren't designed to support the impacts from the road, they are only used for the clamping power to keep the rim on the hub...

or at least thats how it was explained to me...

personal experience: i had rims that had a bigger inner hub, they would bolt on fine, but i had horrible vibration, got the poly hub centric rings from egay and it worked...

hope this helps.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Oct 12 2004, 12:01 PM
I have those H&R 5mm spacers. I also have the extended ARP wheel studs. They both work great. :thumbsup:
[post=401639]Quoted post[/post]​

do the hubs still extend past the spacers at all?

I was always under the same belief that honda's were hub centric, this is a quote from the guy that was saying they were lug centric

They are lugcentric. That's why stock Honda lug nuts are shaped like a ball on the end, they center the wheel. Aftermarket lugs are tapered on the end to fit down in the tapered bore in the wheel. If they were hubcentric they would be flat with a washer. Hubcentric wheels use the hub to support the weight of the car, while lugcentric wheels use the studs and lugnuts to support the weight of the car.

have you ever EVER EVER seen a lug nut that wasn't tapered at the bottom?

the idea of that is correct, that it gets centered correctly so that all 4 lugs are seated properly...

but the studs on your car are not meant to handle the force... lugs and studs provide something like 10,000 lbs of clamping force to hold the rim onto the hub...

i read about it in popular mechanics or car and driver or honda tuner

one of them had a good article on it...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 12 2004, 01:46 PM
have you ever EVER EVER seen a lug nut that wasn't tapered at the bottom?

the idea of that is correct, that it gets centered correctly so that all 4 lugs are seated properly...

but the studs on your car are not meant to handle the force... lugs and studs provide something like 10,000 lbs of clamping force to hold the rim onto the hub...

i read about it in popular mechanics or car and driver or honda tuner

one of them had a good article on it...
[post=401697]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with you on that but I just don't know what do do now, cause I don't want to put on spacers that are going to F up my wheels by putting too much force on the studs instead of puting force on the hub, or end up with hella vibrating as I drive down the road cause my wheels are no longer centered

well, someone else had them and said they worked fine

so get the same studs as him and you should be fine :)

im using 5/16in spacers with stock lugs. i still had plenty of lug left to put my gorilla tapered lugnuts onto.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Oct 13 2004, 11:14 PM
im using 5/16in spacers with stock lugs. i still had plenty of lug left to put my gorilla tapered lugnuts onto.
[post=402418]Quoted post[/post]​

did you have any hub left for your wheel to center on? that is mainly what I'm worried about. what brand spacer are you using?

i dunno. it doesnt say on the spacers.

i dont use hubcentric rings, either, and ive never had a problem with any shaking whatsoever, but my wheel weights seem to fall off ocassionally and i need to get them rebalanced.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Oct 14 2004, 11:22 AM
i dunno. it doesnt say on the spacers.

i dont use hubcentric rings, either, and ive never had a problem with any shaking whatsoever, but my wheel weights seem to fall off ocassionally and i need to get them rebalanced.
[post=402527]Quoted post[/post]​

good to know, maybe I'll hold on to them in case I decide to use them, but the wheels I picked up for winter are integra wheels so they have the right offset for these brakes

Back