Hydraulic compared to cable?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMhatch

Hi im kind of new to this site and i dont know what forum to post this under but i was wondering if anyone could explain to me the big difference between Hydraulic and cable transmissions and if i shoudl spend the extra grand for it?

basicly, if you have a cable tranny now, get a cable tranny, if you have a hydaulic now, get a hydrolic. Basicly it is just the newer version and way to activate the clutch. If you have a 92+ civic, get the hydro, if you have a -91, then get a cable tranny.

Also, :moved: to general tech.

u would have to convert stuff. i have cable cuz my crx is a 91.. i like it cuz u can adjust ur clutch to where u want it to engauge.. but hydraulic adjusts it as it wares so that means u dont have to.. they are both fine setups.. cable is much more simple tho...
Tyler

Thx for the help but one more question could i put a cable tranny in my 1996 ex? like for example a b16a1? Or could i put a b16a1 with a b16a2 hydro transmission in?

Originally posted by JDMhatch@May 21 2004, 12:32 PM
Thx for the help but one more question could i put a cable tranny in my 1996 ex? like for example a b16a1? Or could i put a b16a1 with a b16a2 hydro transmission in?

When going B-series, you really do not want to put a cable tranny in any 92+ civic. Not only is it ghetto, but you have to spend extra$$ on a tranny mount that Hasport sells in order to allow fitmen of the cable tranny (its not a direct bolt like a hydro tranny is).

As mentioned already, all 92-00 civics are hydro tranny equipped, and you want to keep it that way for simplicity. I suggest you keep it that way [hydro tranny] in your 96 EX, if you want the swap to go smoothly.

and yes you can put a B16A1 with a B16A2 hydro transmission on it, you wil have to use a B16A2 clutch system though (disc, pressure plate, and possibly flywheel).

Just remember that if you go B16A1, you'll need to get OBD2 electronics for it; you won't be able to use the B16A1's distributor, alternator, injectors, 1-wire 02 sensor, or ecu...you need to change all that to OBD2 spec B-series parts.

I really suggest that you save your money and buy an OBD2 B16A engine for your EX, rather than try and convert a B16A1 to be compatible with your EX. Its more cost effective too.

Originally posted by katman@May 21 2004, 02:27 PM
Just remember that if you go B16A1, you'll need to get OBD2 electronics for it; you won't be able to use the B16A1's distributor, alternator, injectors, 1-wire 02 sensor, or ecu...you need to change all that to OBD2 spec B-series parts.

I really suggest that you save your money and buy an OBD2 B16A engine for your EX, rather than try and convert a B16A1 to be compatible with your EX. Its more cost effective too.

putting a b16a1 TRANNY in there is not perfered, but it is doable, however, the actual engine is FAR from doable. Wiring is more then just a problem, its a damn nightmare. FOR SURE do not buy a b16a1 ENGINE.

Thx for the help guys.... looks like im going b16a2 for the simplicity.. One more question though would it be better doing a gsr or ls or b16a2 in a 96ex coupe... somethin i could get into the high 13's? without turbo.... leave any sugestions

Back