1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydraulic compared to cable?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by JDMhatch, May 20, 2004.

1. JDMhatch

JDMhatch Junior Member

Hi im kind of new to this site and i dont know what forum to post this under but i was wondering if anyone could explain to me the big difference between Hydraulic and cable transmissions and if i shoudl spend the extra grand for it?

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

basicly, if you have a cable tranny now, get a cable tranny, if you have a hydaulic now, get a hydrolic. Basicly it is just the newer version and way to activate the clutch. If you have a 92+ civic, get the hydro, if you have a -91, then get a cable tranny.

Also, :moved: to general tech.

3. JDMhatch

JDMhatch Junior Member

Thx so if you have a Hydraulic tranny u cant use a cable or does it cost to convert or something?

4. CRseX84

CRseX84 Senior Member

u would have to convert stuff. i have cable cuz my crx is a 91.. i like it cuz u can adjust ur clutch to where u want it to engauge.. but hydraulic adjusts it as it wares so that means u dont have to.. they are both fine setups.. cable is much more simple tho...
    Tyler

5. JDMhatch

JDMhatch Junior Member

Thx for the help but one more question could i put a cable tranny in my 1996 ex? like for example a b16a1? Or could i put a b16a1 with a b16a2 hydro transmission in?

6. katman

katman Member

When going B-series, you really do not want to put a cable tranny in any 92+ civic. Not only is it ghetto, but you have to spend extra$$ on a tranny mount that Hasport sells in order to allow fitmen of the cable tranny (its not a direct bolt like a hydro tranny is).

As mentioned already, all 92-00 civics are hydro tranny equipped, and you want to keep it that way for simplicity. I suggest you keep it that way [hydro tranny] in your 96 EX, if you want the swap to go smoothly.

and yes you can put a B16A1 with a B16A2 hydro transmission on it, you wil have to use a B16A2 clutch system though (disc, pressure plate, and possibly flywheel).

Just remember that if you go B16A1, you'll need to get OBD2 electronics for it; you won't be able to use the B16A1's distributor, alternator, injectors, 1-wire 02 sensor, or ecu...you need to change all that to OBD2 spec B-series parts.

I really suggest that you save your money and buy an OBD2 B16A engine for your EX, rather than try and convert a B16A1 to be compatible with your EX. Its more cost effective too.

7. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

putting a b16a1 TRANNY in there is not perfered, but it is doable, however, the actual engine is FAR from doable. Wiring is more then just a problem, its a damn nightmare. FOR SURE do not buy a b16a1 ENGINE.

8. JDMhatch

JDMhatch Junior Member

Thx for the help guys.... looks like im going b16a2 for the simplicity.. One more question though would it be better doing a gsr or ls or b16a2 in a 96ex coupe... somethin i could get into the high 13's? without turbo.... leave any sugestions

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted