I got haXor3D!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
So, i was wonderining theough google yesterday, clicked a link, it got redirected about 5 times, i had like 10 popups.

i got them all closed and when i opened internet explorer my home page had been changed to the attacking website. i also found multiple files that had been loaded onto my machine one was infamous.exe. this file is stupid. it modifys system32.dll and unless you have system restore turned on (i did, yeah!) you have to reload windows.

also it loaded two files msstask.exe and msbtask.exe these two files pretty much maxed out my CPU doing who knows what and basically tried to lock up my computer.

it also had an error message it said "File *.* could not be found" and it had three buttons continue, cancel, retry. it didn't matter what button you pressed it would just reload itself. i know it wasn't a real error message to because its buttons were very different from the settings i have in windows.

and the files were respawning themselves too, cause i figured out some of the bad files and every time i deleted them they would just reappear about 5 seconds later.

:cliffs:
infamous.exe file loads itself through an IE vulnerability. you will not see any download dialog boxes, it will change your system32.dll and you computer will suck. :angry:

You probably got hit by SASSER...

Make sure all your Windows updates are in place
Make sure you run good spyware killers every week
Make sure you run good virus scanning software constantly
Make sure you have a good firewall in place

You're done. :)

i do my updates daily.
i run adaware daily, is that good?
i have no firewall. :ph34r:
and no virus scanning software. :ph34r:

i am done, huh? :unsure:

what kind of stuff should i look into?

Viruses, worms, spyware... reasons I don't use Windows. But if you're hooked on Windows like a crackhead to a white rock, there is Mozilla.

I just use the SBC internet software. No complaints except it deselects the text box when I go to write something in it, then I have to reclick on the text box. Internet Explorer sucks.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 26 2004, 04:58 PM
reason #1 why you don't use IE

I use IE, I never have these problems... but I'm protected out the ass and I know what not to click on.

:concur:

I have a firewall, DSL, IE, Adaware, Nortons.

I did have the isearch toolbar add itself to my browser last week. I had to go through command prompt and some funny shit to delete it. Basically, I didn't like the way it looked, and it had popups every couple of minutes. I still don't know how it slipped by. I filter out viruses all the time.

I am not worried. Reformatting does not take that long, and I haven't caught a bad virus in a few years.

I update windows and Nortons weekly. I also use Nortons to block almost every program from accessing the internet without my say so.

Back