I got new brakes...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dohch22a4

This past weekend I finally received my Hawk HPS pads and Brembo OE replacements. I really didn't think it was going to make much of a difference, but with DOT 5 fluid, those bitches grab. Holy crap, when slowing down from high speeds (70+ MPH) my car doesn't shake anymore. :D

Oh, and just as an aside, my engine's turned 10 on Saturday. Stamped on the head: 94 1 17. Happy b-day to my engine, I guess. :)

Well, my dad works for the railroad and that's what they use to stop trains. It's all we had lying around the garage and it works pretty well. I just have the stock lines. Is that fluid too much for them?

At the very least, you should be running a full stainless steel setup, if not upgraded calipers, etc. You're asking for some trouble running DOT 5 fluid in a stock setup.

i wouldnt run any higher then dot 3 on stock rubber lines. get some stainless lines and they will be able to handle it, but its still not necessary. i have stainless lines and im only running dot 4. i use valvoline synpower brake fluid. it says exceeds dot 3 and 4, and it works great, but i definitely wouldnt be using dot 5 on rubber lines, thats jus asking for them to burst on you. knock it down to dot 3 on the rubber lines, or get some stainless lines. you can still use the dot 5 but you really dont need it unless you are running a really badass brake setup that really needs it.

Yeah, looking at the exhaust side of your head, right under the cam guides, you will see four little circles. The date will be stamped like this:

9|4 |1 1|7

...where the | represents a line through the circle.

Hmm... I'll have to bleed my lines and try the DOT 3. i guess I don't need train brake fluid, haha. :p

Make sure you clean ALL the DOT 5 out of your system. Bad things happend when you mix DOT 3 or 4 with DOT 5.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jan 19 2004, 09:47 PM
Make sure you clean ALL the DOT 5 out of your system. Bad things happend when you mix DOT 3 or 4 with DOT 5.

Cool, thanks.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what exactly happens?

The mixture is very hard on all the seals in the system as well as the rubber in your lines. This can lead to leakage or complete brake system failure.

Back