i hate farting in a tin can

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

i hate the noise of those shitty mufflers everyone in my town has sounds ok at idle but as soon as the rev it up just a little its real buzzy and crapy. is it the size of the tip or the can that gives them that sound. im lookin to get someting real deep not loud just deep. my sister had a 92 lude with a universal muffler that had a tip the size of a 40 bottle and it was the best sounding thing in the world(then she crashed it and didnt want me stripin it now some guy a town over is drivin it) but anyways what are some suggestion for a deep sounding exhaust? im lookin in the cheaper area because i want straight pipe from cat or better yet the headers so i was thinkin just go for the universal and make it easy.
let me know what you think i should do

generally the diff. between universal fartcans and quality cat backs are a resonator(looks like a high flow cat) that fix the wavelengthes produced at higher rpms eliminating the burning rice sound

hmm,i dont have the answer to your question but i had this as a test exhaust it was super cheap"just the muffler" it was like $50 bucks and it was damn nice for the money.it was kinda weird right after take off but up until about 10 mph it was great, for just a cheapy muffler.hell i like it better than m greddy.if it would fit on my hb i would get another one.

usually the fart sound you refer to is caused by either 2 things, too much restriction before the "Can" or no resinator in the system. If you notice, OEM manufacture's and Aftermarket manufacture's (sp x2), always include a resonating chamber in the exhaust system(between the cat and can) to "tune" the sound of the exhaust. Also the kids you see with the what I call "melon launchers" hanging out the back of the car, have entirly too much restriction before the can and it just amplifies the pressure of there exhaust trying to get through the small stock sized piping. Hence the fart sound in the coffe can.

As a side note, some manf. exhaust systems, just sound that way (...5 zigen fire ball). the easiest way to find something you like as far as tone, is to find someone with a simalr setup as you. Don't be shy, ask them what exhaust they are running. Most people take it as a compliment, especially when you tell them that you are asking about it b/c you like the sound and are looking for something simalar.

matt

doesnt the "straight flow design" have something to do with the fart can mufflers noise level and pitch.

no that nasty sound is usually becuase some jerkoff just welded or used pipe clamps to throw on a tip. And they punch out the cat and that sounds great too!!!! High flow out of a 90hp engine............

If you run a straight pipe from the header and put on a tip it WILL sound like ass. Just buy a quality full exhaust system. The resonator is a big factor in the sound of the exhaust.

Back