I have a problem!ZC won't stay running!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

teamflorida AJ

Hey guys, my problem is i have a zc in my 90 rex with si transmission with si computer. the problem is i will run great then the engine dies. then will not restart just keeps spinning over . the ignition power is present at the dist. thought it might be the coil, so i changed it. ran fine for a hour the when idling it started to spit and sputter. the coil seems not to be getting power cause i take a screw driver and pull a plug wire and i get no spark. now the car was a hf model not si car , i bought the car for $500.00 with strut tower mounts lowered and the swap of course. It runs wonderful when it does, i'm just tired of being standed on the side of the road. ANY SUGGESTIONS????the car has the orange and the white wire a the distributor wiring cut and ran to the ecu. maybe a ground problem? Some plug coming loose or what?? Thanks for the help!

Hey Aj. I had the same problem with my 91 Si hatch. Would run like a champ but out of the blue it would cut off and not want to turn back on. So here's the symptoms:
Engine will crank but won't start. You have spark but engine still won't start. Engine will turn on a while later if you let it cool down and wait for a while.
I took my hatch to a supposed Honda expert and $175.00 later he wanted to sell me a new dizzy. I told him to go fuck himself. So I spoke to a local kid who owned a 91 hatch and he said, change your main fuel relay and your problem is solved. I changed it and up until today have never had the problem again. Good luck!

will try that but i have no spark. when it does this all spark is gone . i meen it won't try to fire up like it has no spark. when it dies the motor just cuts off. now the check engine soon light lites up but ecu is flashing no codes. when it did it flashed first a 3 pulse so i replaced the map. the it flashes now the 1 time for o2. now since i rest the ecu it don't flash. just won't start . now i reset it earlier that day the drove it about a hour then it died. thanks

sounds to me like it has a bad main relay, but could also have a bad igniter

Anyone still having this prob?

I ask cause I have a 92 civic stock D15B7 automatic that I bought to make some money with and I have had no spark since replacing the engine. So if anyone comes up with the answer please share it with all of us so we can all put an end to this miserable nightmare. I have a mechanic (a real one):p coming over this week to check it out. According to my buddy he will def find the prob. I will post my findings here as soon as I get a diagnosis from this guy. This issue has plagued us all like a cancer so if I find the fuckin cure I'm gonna spread it like wildfire. I'm gettin no codes from my ECU either. But hopefully after this guy sees it I wont need to read access codes from any ECU. More to follow guys...in about a week.

Still havent found the problem . lack of funds doesnt help:(. Now to refresh the deal , engine has power going to the distributor via the black and yellow wire. The rex was a dx with a chopped wiring harness. i got a harness from a 1988crx si and put it in the vehicle . hoping to solve most of the wiring nightmare. the car ran before this was done and when you drove it or sat idling. the car would just lose power to the plugs. then would restart sometime later. sometimes within 15 minutes up to a couple hours. when running it ran great. so to rule out the wiring harness problems i replaced it with the si harness. now the ecu is a 88-91-si ecu. i also have a 89 integra ecu. i want to put in . why won't it have fire to the plugs:confused:? I replaced the coil. it ran for about a hour then died while idling. and never restarted. thanks guys!

I have sort of the same issue.

Hey AJ. Good news. Ur not alone. Bad news. I have no idea what the hell is the problem with our cars. The 91 Si hatch you see pictured next to my replies had a ZC dropped in last summer. I was told it would run ok with a Si ECU. So I used it and all went by the book. BUT! when I bought the right ECU for the dam thing i found it would not spark either. So now I run a ZC at 108 HP instead of 138 HP. It's killing me knowing I have the dam ECU it needs and can't get it to run. I'm wondering if maybe I should try writing to the experts at one of the tuner mags to see what they say about this ZC / ECU business. What's more is that I can place my dizzy in any position now with the SI ECU and the car will run the same! It's not phased at all by the timing! WTF! I don't know man but this no spark shit is pissing me off. I'll keep digin' and I'll keep you posted with my progress if I find the answer. Peace man. And good luck.

Back