I have a vafc any poit to a new ecu ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luder22

I have an apexi vafc on my vtec prelude I have eas talking withn someone who mentioned i should definitely change my ecu to a gsr ecu something about two stage vtec and better performance but i have a vafc and i think that controls the fuel maps. my car is modified with underdrive pulleys full exhaust a flywheel intake i ,may change the cams and intake manifold in the future. is the vafc just nice to look at basically and should i swap for a jdm prelude ecu or something else and ditch the vafc. or is it worth while and should i keep it. I hear all different things like i have a speed governor at 120 mph but i have surpassed that speeed with no problems can anyone recommend something Thanks

JDM ECUs have a speed limiter at 112(?)mph (shitty investment)
GSR ECUs are set up and mapped for a 1.8l engine (shitty investment)

keep your ECU untill you find you need to raise your rev limit (if you have one) after upgrading your cams and valvetrain.... and even then you only really need a chip that raises or removes the rev limiter

the VAFC is good for basic tuning
the Hondata is better for more indepth tuning

bring either one to a dyno to have it tuned

Thanks what you said makes sense and yes there is a rev limiter I think its 8000rpm I have hit it a few times. my next investment besides appearance and body stuff would be I guess jdm cams and an jdm intake manifold thats only gonna go down if i run into any trouble other than that the car runs perfect and im not really into messing with it

vafc can also change your vtec crossover point. There should be no use for a JDM h22 ECU to change it.

and the "2" stage vtec is the point at which your secondary intake runners open.

Couple things:
-Don't bother with the JDM H22 manifold. Get the Euro Accord type-R single runner or an aftermarket single runner
-The P72 will run your car adaquately because the difference in injector sizes (240cc for 94-95 P72 vs 310cc for 92-95 H22A) almost perfectly adjusts for the difference in displacement between 1.8l and 2.2L. It's still a waste of money if you ask me tho - without some serious tweaking, you'll have idle problems. The only real reason to do this ECU swap is if you plan on boosting the car because there are no boost chips available for the P13 (H22 ECU) at this time. Hondata uses a P72, and so do the Uberchips.

Back