I have some time and want to tune the system

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
I finaly have some time this weekend to take out my seats and tune my stereo that I had installed last Nov. What are some good pointers to follow? In the past I burned a cd of some different types of music that I listen to and then tried to get the best average sound. Is this a decent way? I am not a pro and I am not going to compete but I would like it to sound the best I can.

Specs:

infinity reference interior
2-JL 10w3v2 (?) in a factory box
Eclipse amp for interior
JL audio amp for the subs
Eclipse deck

Quoted post[/post]]
I finaly have some time this weekend to take out my seats and tune my stereo that I had installed last Nov. What are some good pointers to follow? In the past I burned a cd of some different types of music that I listen to and then tried to get the best average sound. Is this a decent way? I am not a pro and I am not going to compete but I would like it to sound the best I can.

Specs:

infinity reference interior
2-JL 10w3v2 (?) in a factory box
Eclipse amp for interior
JL audio amp for the subs
Eclipse deck

i would get the cd the pros use and do it that way. to me this makes the best and most crisp sound no matter the type of music. I believe it is the spl cd.

um ok...would this cd have a name? i know you can get tone cd's but that dosen't really help me. I am not trying to be an ass but I am on my 6th jack single barrel so nothing really make sense right now....

I'm not drunk and much of this doesn't make sense.

What are you able to tune? IE What are you going to adjust?
Gains? Crossovers? Does your HU have an EQ? What kind (graphic or parametric)? How much eq(# of bands)? Time alignment?

What are your expectations? What are you doing with the rear speakers, are they just for fill?

Maybe I'll give you some pointers when I have some info. But here's my test cd spiel:

Use a test disc, please. Check out USACi discs and IASCA. I have old Iasca discs, so I prefer them.
Or you could burn this: http://www.fix-it.org/forums/showthread.ph...99&page=1&pp=10
All the titles are the files for download, plus it has the more valuable part - what to listen for. But I'd add Dave Mathews Band - Two step and Dire Straits - Money for Nothing, the CD is pretty light without these additions (both off an old Iasca disc of mine). Not a big fan of DMB, but both of these rock and are very dynamic.
And always use stuff you do know as well. I use Dire Straits now because in the course of the past 3 years I've heard it probably 300+ times on 20+ systems (car, home, headphones, pa systems, snow horns). That's what really helps, experience.

Another thing to listen to... Don't laugh... FlashDance... That used to be a big IASCA track...

But what he said is right too...

A good thing to do, mark where you start, and don't do major adjustments. Do a little bit at a time, and write everything down.

:withstupid: that song is used when judges do the cars for sound quality. it is what i use to tune all my systems that i do and it has woked very very well.

Quoted post[/post]]
Another thing to listen to... Don't laugh... FlashDance... That used to be a big IASCA track...

But what he said is right too...

A good thing to do, mark where you start, and don't do major adjustments. Do a little bit at a time, and write everything down.

No kidding.. really ? I did my Celica in an SPL drag back in 01. I got 3rd place in the Stock 0-140 watts category. Equipment ? My stock 1981 ETR / EQ / TAPE with my stock and original paper 6x9s. 125 dB

there were 6 people in my class, and they were kinda pissed.

For a song, I used Hooverphonic because I didn't understand SPL measuring reqs. I hit loudest volume with strings without distortion. then I learned that distortion didn't matter, and they put the mic on the passenger floor (My speakers were in the dash at the windshield). Knowing that I could just stuck a penny on the tape head and just screeched out a tone and jacked the volume. That would be cheating :)

No No No. That is NOT true SPL... And if it was on a string, the note was probably higher than IASCA or USAC allow.

Also... 125dB out of 6x9's... I'd have to call BS... Even on the passenger floor... 105 MAYBE...

Back