I knew this day would come.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I was going to work today and my CEL came on... the car still ran strong, as far as I can tell no oil or coolant leaks, vtec would still kicked in (revved it once on the way home to see)

All the belts were fine, No stuttering or missing or anything as far as I can tell.

I'm going to search around to see if I can find the codes/meanings. When I turn the car to the on position the CEL comes on, clicks once and then stays on.

Is there a way to be able to pull the codes without getting a reader? or does Autozone do that for free?

obd2b 00 Si for those of you who don't know. :)

you cant just short a connector and have it blink out the codes? but yea i think autozone will do it for free. and the click you hear is the main relay or the fuel pump. the click is normal.

oh yeah Iknow the click is normal, I was just wondering would that be part of the code? probably not.

Anyway which connectors would I want to short to get it to blink the code out?

try looking under the dash for a loose connector with 2 wires going to it. it will probably be under the dash on the passenger side. if you find it thats probably it, short a wire across the connection and turn your car on, the codes should blink out. and if the code isnt affecting your driveability its probably the o2 sensor or something. but do a little research before attempting this, there could be other loose connectors for some reason or another and you could possible hurt something by shorting it if it isnt the right connector. search around or go to autozone for the free thing, i hold no responsibility if something gets broken, lol.

i looked around on hondatech and found a plug htat looks very similar to what he used to check CEL codes... I know it was for a 92-95 EG.

I stuck a paper clip into the two outter connectors and it just blinks once.

That could either be 1 or 10?

it's a short blink, like the blink of your eye.

I don't know what the codes are for an obd2 motor though.

Thats what I was thinking with a guy I was talking to at work today...

I just gotta say, thank God for that.

my next question is, is there one or two O2 sensors on the Si?

I guess the codes are all different between obd 1 and 2a/b.

I read through the manual on monday and it said if the gas cap is loose/missing the light will come on. It'd take 3 trips for it to go out after the cap was tightened.

So I tightened it to be sure on monday.

I went over to my parents after work tonight and the light went out after I parked it. Thank God I don't have to buy some O2 sensors. 3 days I've been pissed and worried about it for nothing.

To get codes from an OBD2 ecu you need a reader. You only check the codes by making them blink on OBD1. More than likely it is an O2 sensor. My 99 SI has the light on right now for the same thing....

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 21 2004, 03:27 PM
To get codes from an OBD2 ecu you need a reader. You only check the codes by making them blink on OBD1. More than likely it is an O2 sensor. My 99 SI has the light on right now for the same thing....
[post=405720]Quoted post[/post]​

Not only OBD1 but OBD0 uses short/long flashed to relay codes...

Johnnylawless - is your sig big enough?

Originally posted by brian11to1@Oct 21 2004, 08:42 PM
Not only OBD1 but OBD0 uses short/long flashed to relay codes...

Johnnylawless - is your sig big enough?
[post=405875]Quoted post[/post]​

obd0 only uses short flashes.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 21 2004, 03:27 PM
[post=405720]Quoted post[/post]​

The light went out last night and hasn't come back on since. It was the gas cap.

That may be, but you can still pull the code just to be sure. OBD2 computers save all of your thrown codes so you can pull them later. You should check it out just to be positive....

Originally posted by revolution8k@Oct 21 2004, 10:33 PM
The light went out last night and hasn't come back on since. It was the gas cap.
[post=405933]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fucking obd2

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 22 2004, 11:18 AM
That may be, but you can still pull the code just to be sure. OBD2 computers save all of your thrown codes so you can pull them later. You should check it out just to be positive....
[post=406146]Quoted post[/post]​

eh. I'm not worried about it.

I filled up tonight and got 28 mpg. Which is above average for how I normally drive. (stupid lead foot) :angry: :p

If it was an O2 sensor my guess is mileage would have dropped because the car would tend to want to run richer.

Back