I need full sohc vtec swap into 89 crx hf

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmoe5

I would like to do a 92-95 sohc vtec swap in a 89 CRX HF using the motor's vtec and I need full instructions. Wiring info, axles. Can I use 92-95 si transmisson? Can anyone help? I appreciate it.

we put a 95 sohc vtec motor in my friends hf and used his crx tranny and axles for the swap. we used his stock wire harness and ran vtec off a msd rpm activated switch.

You can use your stock axles since you keep your transmission. The 92-95 tranny won't bolt in.

sohc vtec in ef

I actually have a Z6 in my 90 Hatch DX. It really is a simple swap since u can use the same mounts (some ppl. go with Hasport D series mounts; but unless u got turbo plans or plan on making it REALLY fast ( all-motor or something...) then the stock hp on the sohc vtec shouldn't be a problem as far as as the mounts not being able to withstand the power... BUT; do try to install that front mount in just 4 the hell of it; I did & my motor sits in perfect & plus it doesnt hurt to have the extra one; I know with the B series swaps u dont use it; if i remember correctly) First of; the problem i encountered is that i was snapping the passenger side axles ( the side that turns; i havent found an LSD tranny 4 a D series; & honestly its kinda hard to find anyways...) like nothin when the swap was first completed; we had to custom-make the axles ( Si end into the tranny [91 Si tranny with Stage 2 ACT clutch ] & DX end into the hub; since the Si axle wont clear the DX hub. Either that or go with a complete Si spindel conversion on the front; I just havent got to it yet; but honestly its better since u wont have the problem of trying to custom-make axles if u break em; plus the Si axle is a more stronger axle itself... That's of course if the HF axles have 23 lines on the hub end; if u got 26 I think u should be fine; not sure about the HF... I've personally owned 3 CRXs but none HF: an 87 Si, an 88 Si, and the other one an 89 DX (but never did any work on the DX). As far as the wiring; u will need to convert it to OBD1 since the stock D15 motor is Dual-Point non-Vtec; im also using a P28 ECU mapped under Chrome for my motor, just need to chip it now. A dohc vtec ecu could work; but i dont recommend it since at first we ran it with an ECU set up 4 an H22 until I received the P28 & the Vtec would kick in randomly; & honestly the car wasn't even responding properly. As far as which motor works best; in my opinion (& also a lot of ppl. say the same) the Z6 is the way to go with sohc V's... The Z6 is probably the strongest sohc vtec Honda has manufactured (besides the JDM sohc ZC; & the D15B is aight too; but i raced a STOCK (just h/i/ex) D15B swapped 95 Civic & I would destroy him horribly until he passed me on top end; & me on 4th gear about to shift into 5th... I guess they r built 4 top end im thinking??? ); it can take some abuse & still hold strong; as well it is known 4 holding together way better than the Y8 counterpart for turbo. (I know 2 guys that have already blown their Y8s; one of em was pushing not even 7lbs on a 89 DX Hatch and blew it after 2 weeks of swapping it; & the other one just driving on a daily basis on his 98 Coupe...

Now; as far as power or expectations out of it; honestly dont expect an EXTREMELY fast car; BUT then again u do plan on dropping it on an HF CRX body; so it'll be a CONSIDERABLE gain from the stock motor & the power to weight ratio from the HF being the lightest CRX out there. Right now with the setup I have: ACT Stage 2 full-race clutch, chrome-mapped ECU, full suspension, headers, cold air intake, 91 CRX Si tranny (u could use the EF Hatch's Si as well; I've heard good things of them too; they r pretty strong... i think the 92-95 tranny might work; but im sorry tho, i dont know 4 sure; i would just go with an 88-91 Si tranny neways...) & FULL INTERIOR; i ran 15s at the track on a REALLY shitty day; since I live up north & the summer is still to kick in completely... On a good day I run a hi 14s; & 4 a sohc vtec that's not bad AT ALL... Oh; & ITS NOT EVEN TUNED YET either; lol...

I take STOCK: GSRs, B16 EKs, LS EFs, bla,bla... 4 fun. I have even wooped a 95 DX EG with a GSR swap once; & then another one owned by an asian dude with Vtec controller & some goodies... Of course they could have been missing or something; but thats a lot to say for a sohc regardless. Hope this info. helps in some way bro.; sohc V's all day!!! ha,ha...

p.s. dont expect the vtec to sound like a dohc either; but in some cases they do sound NASTY ( & still using the stock OEM cam ). PPl. think i have a B16 or GSR when they race me; lol... U should see their faces when I pop the hood... Hilarious... :eek:

I actually have a Z6 in my 90 Hatch DX. It really is a simple swap since u can use the same mounts (some ppl. go with Hasport D series mounts; but unless u got turbo plans or plan on making it REALLY fast ( all-motor or something...) then the stock hp on the sohc vtec shouldn't be a problem as far as as the mounts not being able to withstand the power... BUT; do try to install that front mount in just 4 the hell of it; I did & my motor sits in perfect & plus it doesnt hurt to have the extra one; I know with the B series swaps u dont use it; if i remember correctly) First of; the problem i encountered is that i was snapping the passenger side axles ( the side that turns; i havent found an LSD tranny 4 a D series; & honestly its kinda hard to find anyways...) like nothin when the swap was first completed; we had to custom-make the axles ( Si end into the tranny [91 Si tranny with Stage 2 ACT clutch ] & DX end into the hub; since the Si axle wont clear the DX hub. Either that or go with a complete Si spindel conversion on the front; I just havent got to it yet; but honestly its better since u wont have the problem of trying to custom-make axles if u break em; plus the Si axle is a more stronger axle itself... That's of course if the HF axles have 23 lines on the hub end; if u got 26 I think u should be fine; not sure about the HF... I've personally owned 3 CRXs but none HF: an 87 Si, an 88 Si, and the other one an 89 DX (but never did any work on the DX). As far as the wiring; u will need to convert it to OBD1 since the stock D15 motor is Dual-Point non-Vtec; im also using a P28 ECU mapped under Chrome for my motor, just need to chip it now. A dohc vtec ecu could work; but i dont recommend it since at first we ran it with an ECU set up 4 an H22 until I received the P28 & the Vtec would kick in randomly; & honestly the car wasn't even responding properly. As far as which motor works best; in my opinion (& also a lot of ppl. say the same) the Z6 is the way to go with sohc V's... The Z6 is probably the strongest sohc vtec Honda has manufactured (besides the JDM sohc ZC; & the D15B is aight too; but i raced a STOCK (just h/i/ex) D15B swapped 95 Civic & I would destroy him horribly until he passed me on top end; & me on 4th gear about to shift into 5th... I guess they r built 4 top end im thinking??? ); it can take some abuse & still hold strong; as well it is known 4 holding together way better than the Y8 counterpart for turbo. (I know 2 guys that have already blown their Y8s; one of em was pushing not even 7lbs on a 89 DX Hatch and blew it after 2 weeks of swapping it; & the other one just driving on a daily basis on his 98 Coupe...

Now; as far as power or expectations out of it; honestly dont expect an EXTREMELY fast car; BUT then again u do plan on dropping it on an HF CRX body; so it'll be a CONSIDERABLE gain from the stock motor & the power to weight ratio from the HF being the lightest CRX out there. Right now with the setup I have: ACT Stage 2 full-race clutch, chrome-mapped ECU, full suspension, headers, cold air intake, 91 CRX Si tranny (u could use the EF Hatch's Si as well; I've heard good things of them too; they r pretty strong... i think the 92-95 tranny might work; but im sorry tho, i dont know 4 sure; i would just go with an 88-91 Si tranny neways...) & FULL INTERIOR; i ran 15s at the track on a REALLY shitty day; since I live up north & the summer is still to kick in completely... On a good day I run a hi 14s; & 4 a sohc vtec that's not bad AT ALL... Oh; & ITS NOT EVEN TUNED YET either; lol...

I take STOCK: GSRs, B16 EKs, LS EFs, bla,bla... 4 fun. I have even wooped a 95 DX EG with a GSR swap once; & then another one owned by an asian dude with Vtec controller & some goodies... Of course they could have been missing or something; but thats a lot to say for a sohc regardless. Hope this info. helps in some way bro.; sohc V's all day!!! ha,ha...

p.s. dont expect the vtec to sound like a dohc either; but in some cases they do sound NASTY ( & still using the stock OEM cam ). PPl. think i have a B16 or GSR when they race me; lol... U should see their faces when I pop the hood... Hilarious... :eek:

You should refrain from posting....

This thread is over 4 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back