i need help swapping my Head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sbcdanyo

heres my situations.. i have a '95 gsr with 160k miles.. in january i found my car in a huge ass puddle (my car was pretty lowered too) and the only way i was going to get it out is if i started it and drove it out.. so i did, and i think i bent a couple valves.. now its getting worse and i was just going to change the valves but since it has so many miles on it already, i thought i'd just buy a new head... so heres my options, i can get a b16a1 head and put it on my gsr block.. but i dont really know what else i need to change besides the IM.. someone said i might lose HP too if i went that route..
my second option is to get a itr head... whats the difference... i thought b16 and itr head was pretty much the same except for the factory P & P and more aggresive cams?? anyways, i need some suggestions and basic help.. any 2 cents will help.. thanks...

rebuild your head...

use the saved money to upgrade your valve train and get a P&P...

not rocket science here...

$$$ vs. gains...

Rebuilding your head would be the cheapest option. You will not lose hp by swaping a b16 head, actually you would gain a little bit, and end up with a poor man's type R. If you want to rev a bit hight the typeR would give you that since it has a better valve train.

although he would lose some compression with the b16 head... not sure where you're seeing he would gain power

rebuild the head
why would you go out and buy a new one when you already have one?
the PR3 flows better than the P72 in the top end.....but it's not like a huge difference you will feel or recognize. the B16 head is pretty much the same as the typeR besides for PnP,cams,and valvetrain.

stick with the P72.
it will be cheaper to just rebuild the head......and while you're at it,just get an upgraded valvetrain(valves,springs,retainers,guides). that upgraded valvetrain will be the answer to your problems....then you can worry about cams,PnP,and a valve-job and your head will be solid.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Jul 15 2004, 05:32 PM
You will not lose hp by swaping a b16 head, actually you would gain a little bit, and end up with a poor man's type R.

How exactly would he gain power? The B16A head will lose compression.

right on guys.. thanks.. so i guess im going shopping for a new valvetrain instead..

all the big names are pretty reliable...

not sure if IB does valve train work, but jeff is a very good guy and sponsors this site, helps a lot of people, so if i were you i would get whatever i could from IB...

Back