i need help with b18b swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18vtecrx

ok im doing a b18b swap into my 89' crx HF now heres the deal ....im keeping it obd-0. so heres my questions.

do i really need to swap my HF hubs? if i do then what do i swap them to?

will a PR4 ecu work with my 89' HF wire harness?

will a 91' teg starter plug in with my harness?

what alternator do i use? will the alternator work from my stock motor?

will this setup pass smog in california? please share any knowledge i have done a lot of searching but nobody is running b18b's on obd-0 ecu's and wire harness's so let me know asap im almost done gathering stuff but i wanna make sure before peicing it all together thnx -mike

so nobody on hondaswap knows how to swap a b18 into a crx? hmmmm thats a little strange.... :roll: ....somebody please help me out thnx ahead of time for any help -mike

1st off dont be a smartass. it takes time to get replys. second, yes you need to swap your hubs unless you wanna go buy some custom axels which will cost alot more. go ahead and get 90-93 teg hubs, they should bolt right up, and you can get a nice break upgrade with them as well. the ecu should plug in, i believe the starter will plug in. my friend just did a b18a swap and everything plugged in. your stock motor is a d15 so i do not think your alternator will work, get a teg alternator at a junkyard for like 20 bucks.

thnx for the help and sorry about being a "smartass" i knew it was one way to get some replies but yea anybody able to help with the rest? please let me know asap thnx -mike :D

ok , if this is the stock hf harness, you will need to convert dual point to mpfi, assuming you have done this already (hasport harness if you havnt) then find and obd0 distributor for your obd1 motor, then you should ABSOLUTELY all obd0, again assuming you have obd0 ecu, and not throw codes because of some stupid obd conflict, a 91 starter will work with this, alternator? get an integra, cooooome on.

Originally posted by emericazzz@Dec 2 2003, 11:03 PM
ok , if this is the stock hf harness, you will need to convert dual point to mpfi, assuming you have done this already (hasport harness if you havnt) then find and obd0 distributor for your obd1 motor, then you should ABSOLUTELY all obd0, again assuming you have obd0 ecu, and not throw codes because of some stupid obd conflict, a 91 starter will work with this, alternator? get an integra, cooooome on.

ok NOOB unless you know what your talking about then stay off my thread think about what you just wrote to me "if its an HF then you'll have to convert to mpfi".......well last i checked HF's come stock mpfi now if i had a DX then you would be right but im sorry stay off my thread thnx -mike

ok can anybody else help me with the rest? i heard that since im using an obd-1 TB i have to extend some wires to go to the throttlebody....is that true? please let me know if it is and if its true maybe you could tell me what wires and a pic would be great so somebody please help me a little more thnx -mike

you will have to lengthen your TPS and MAP sensor plugs. Did a similar year engine swap, had to lengthen them and other guys I've seen had to do the same thing

Originally posted by b18vtecrx@Dec 2 2003, 12:19 AM
ok im doing a b18b swap into my 89' crx HF now heres the deal ....im keeping it obd-0. so heres my questions.

will this setup pass smog in california? please share any knowledge i have done a lot of searching but nobody is running b18b's on obd-0 ecu's and wire harness's so let me know asap im almost done gathering stuff but i wanna make sure before peicing it all together thnx -mike

swap the hubs to either EX hubs or 90-93 teg

the PR4 will work with stock harness

starter will plug up

the stock alt will not work, if your swap didn't come with one you need any obd0 or obd1 b-series alt.

as long as you keep all emmisions controls it should pass smog

thnx everybody for the help but i still would like to see a pic. seeing that this is my first swap i want to make sure i do everything right.....im refferring to the wiring anyways somebody please take a pic of their swap and show me those wires or draw me a crappy paint diagram anything will be helpful thnx -mike

i need a ref to pass it and i need it to pass smog also but anyways i guess nobody can help me out with a visual of the wiring? peace -mike

i did the same swap to my '91 crx si....all i did was change the dist. to an obd 0 LS one, and changed the ecu to an obd 0 LS PR4, and the injectors to obd 0. in your case you're gunna have to change the engine harness over to mpfi...oh, and make sure you bang out a dent on the driver's side of the engine bay to make room for the altenator. (i didnt have to change the altenator or the starter)....btw if you need to buy a distributor, ecu, or injectors lemme know. one more thing...i also changed the tranny over to cable (b18a tranny)

OK FOR THE LAST TIME......I HAVE AN HF AN IT COMES STOCK MPFI SO PEOPLE STOP TELLING ME I NEED TO SWAP TO MPFI. -mike

Just so you know, if a smog guys see that its a obd1 or obd2 enigne (since its a b18b) he will fail you and send you to ref! Ref will say well its a b18b this is the smog stuff you are soppose to have. Then he will fail you and you can not drive the car till you get it legalized.

If your putitng in a b18b and u want it legal in cali put in every smog thing that would be in the car the b18b came out of!

Yea and you guys need to remember HF is a SI just d15. It has the resitor box and all that crap. Thats why the HF IS SO FUN!

<--Has a hf! So much fun! :D
<--Now my STD Civic thats another story! :lol:

b18vtecrx if you wanna sell any parts or wanna get a b18a engine I got 2 let me know.

where are you located? and how much for each engine? mileage?whats it come with? longblock? let me know all about each motor thnx -mike

Engines are in Concord, CA

I have one longblock and one complete swap minus dist. I even have a shiftlinkage that has a dent in it that im gonna get fixed soon for sale.

Let me know.

Back