i need to cut a hole in my FG crx hood

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my B18c sit's up big time. i bought a FG OEM style crx hood. so i could cut a hole in it. and mold a scoop in it!!

any idea's on how i should do this?

i have zero exp. with FG!!

thanks

You'll need to fasten it down firmly. The edges will have to be welded, or have the shit fiberglassed out of it. Any edge that is not perfectly fastened, welded, or fiberglassed, will crack out later.

I put a hood scoop on my S-10 years ago. I robbed it from an old camaro. The scoop was fiberglass, so I couldn't weld it. I shortened the front, since it was too long. I cut the hole in the hood. I made the scoop functional. I bolted the scoop down, and used 3M 5200 adhesive around the entire perimeter to hold it down as well. I layed fiberglass around the whole scoop, inside and out. All but the very front edge that I was still blending in with bondo. Guess what cracked out?

It's been seven years. The scoop hasn't budged. It hasn't even cracked, except that leading edge(the two skinny points) that I did not completely fiberglass.

Get the point? Either buy a hood, or go all the way, and don't half ass it. Not if you care.

Hey, nice story Moron.

He asked for instructions on cutting the hole in the "new fiberglass hood" he bought for the purpose of molding in a glass scoop I assume because the motor he swapped in sits too high. Where the fuck does welding come into play. This ain't mini truckin. Either help the guy or don't post. I come back later and help if you don't. :blah:

lol... ass...

anyway, if you have no experience with fiberglass, and you want it to be right the first time, I doubt that a metal-to-glass scoop is gonna be a good starter project. Probably more effective to have someone do it so it won't break.

If you've never worked with glass before don't wreck your hood trying to do it yourself. As for cutting it. Mark out the space the needs to be cut. Place tape over the line and cut though the tape int the middle, This will prevent the glass from cracking and splintering on the edges. Use a fast motion saw that will not get stuck or stopped during the cut. Personally i use a craftsman cutting tool that rotates around 20,000 RPM when i'm cutting glass. Use light sprays of water evey few miniutes so you don't burn the glass.

Originally posted by Tokay@Aug 12 2004, 12:26 PM
Hey, nice story Moron.

He asked for instructions on cutting the hole in the "new fiberglass hood" he bought for the purpose of molding in a glass scoop I assume because the motor he swapped in sits too high. Where the fuck does welding come into play. This ain't mini truckin. Either help the guy or don't post. I come back later and help if you don't. :blah:
[post=375986]Quoted post[/post]​

Listen here shit prick. I said weld OR do this. You're right, this ain't mini trucking. The question was about cutting a hole for a scoop. I gave my experience installing a scoop. What have you added to this? What, I didn't hear your fucking genius plan?

When you're smarter than me, come back. Until then, go clean up the motor home that you live in, and leave the scoops to people that can afford nice cars. Give your mom my love.

Smooth Criminal and Battle Pope are correct. I'd use a Dremel, Rotozip, or a wheel grinder with cutting wheel on it. The FG hood will be no harder to mold to than steel.

My story was about a fiberglass scoop, so I have done this. My only point is that that a car vibrates a lot. Either buy a scoop that isn't molded in, or glass the shit out of every edge if you mold it. Leave nothing to chance.

Ok here is my half assed step by step directions I could come up for you...

1) bolt up hood so your hood to fender gaps are nice and even
2) locate the area that needs to be removed for your clearance, I'm assuming it's the valve cover thats hitting, in that case try and find some sort of material that will transfer from the valve cover to the bottomside of the hood (chalk?)
3) Assuming you want the hood scoop to be centered, find the center of the hood where the valve cover is hitting, measure out the desired width of the "scoop" or interfering area and divide by two, and measure that far out from the center line.
4) Invest in a rotozip, cut off wheel, dremel or some other sort of hi-RPM cutting tool, and cut the desired area out SLOWLY.
5) Molding a scoop from scratch out of fiberglass is going to be a bitch. I suggest you look into aftermarket suppliers for something that will suit your needs. jegs, harwood etc.
6) After you have found a scoop that will work (hopefully fiberglass) you'll need some 36 grit grinding disks to rough up the surface of both the hood and scoop.
7) Purchase fiberglass mat, resin and hardener, make sure you read the directions and buy some latex gloves.
8) Cut fiberglass mat into 2-3 inch wide by 8 inch long strips and submerge in your resin/catalyst mixture
9) Lay strips down to bridge the seam from the scoop to the hood all the way around, try not to get any bubbles underneath the strips or you'll have to fill them in with body filler (bondo)
10) Let fiberglass sit until it is fully cured
11) Gind excess fiberglass away, apply body filler, sand to contour, prime, wetsand, seal, basecoat, clearcoat.

If you've got a lot of spare time on your hands go for it, it will take lots of time, patience and tools. Fiberglass mat isn't cheap either, try ebay, craft stores or auto body supply stores.

Oh, almost forgot Tokay, :newbie:.

Originally posted by Tokay@Aug 12 2004, 12:26 PM
Hey, nice story Moron.

[post=375986]Quoted post[/post]​

Your a fucking idiot. why the fuck is it that people such as yourself think you can come on to a forum not knowing your asshole from your elbow, with less than 40 posts and think you can start talking shit to us guys who actually know what the fuck were saying? Go fuck your mom you incestial fagetraping cocksmoker. and while your at it shut your fuckin mouth!

otherwise xswany gave a good step by step how to on what to do for the best longest lasting results. and also do as tab said and dont skimp anywhere cause if you do a few months down the road it will show just where you did.

x forgot 1 thing when doing the glass work try to get matting not woven cloth and rember to tear on cut so you have rough edges so you get a better finished product

Back