I think that it's time.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

and psychology? (since you know that's the major I'm considering in the first place...)

Without a masters... its pretty much nothing.

As I said, previously, psych majors are even more frowned upon than teaching and business. Its a "science" but its a complete "feel" kind of science. No one can teach you exactly the right questions to ask a patient.

However, if you're a psychiatrist - meaning you go into a psychology perspective that is biological based and you prescribe drugs (zanax, zoloft, dopamine etc., etc. psychiatric drugs) than its less frowned upon by the rest of the world, but you'll need a medical degree to become a psychiatrist.

Other job options include marketing and consumer behavior as well as guidance counselors and things of that sort.

Best bet is to search those job sites like I said.

yup, fill us in.

Sell drugs.

Trade on wall street.

Money launder.

Become a doctor with a fruitful practice.

Rob a bank, every week.

Work two jobs.

$1000/wk pretax isn't very much for the northeast - thats $48,000 pretax, about $38,000 post tax. $1000wk post tax is getting a little better but not much.

my room mate is a teacher at a local high school. She gets high on a daily basis and enjoys not working much. She's smart as hell, but admits she did it because the pay is steady, its union, and she enjoys history and students.
maybe taken out of context but how does she "enjoy her students"?

wow
who only works 11 months?

I'm really not quite sure where you're going here...?

$1,000wk x 4wks in a month = $4,000month

$4,000mo x 12mo in a year = $48,000yearly

$48,000year pre tax works out somewhere around $37,000-$40,000 post tax.

Where did I leave off the 12th month?

52 weeks in a year X $1000 = $52000

also 2080 hours in a work year so $/per hr X 2080 = .....

well heres thing thing...i get paid twice a month...both times for the same amount.

TBOs calculation is more correct for a salary employee. Thats the way i do my break downs too when im looking for a new job, and usually its pretty close.

52 weeks in a year X $1000 = $52000

also 2080 hours in a work year so $/per hr X 2080 = .....

I guess that would make the math quite a bit different.

I'm used to breaking down monthly pay, not weekly.

well heres thing thing...i get paid twice a month...both times for the same amount.

TBOs calculation is more correct for a salary employee. Thats the way i do my break downs too when im looking for a new job, and usually its pretty close.

Most everyone is paid biweekly, so it becomes a bit confusing when you do the breakdown but in my error I completely overlooked the way that recked was calculating the salary. Just needed to open up my eyes a little bit.

The 52weeks calculation is a bit different because it doesn't take into account holidays and how most companies generally pay on a calendar month basis as opposed to a week to week basis.

Neither way is right nor wrong, but in the end my point that $48,000-$52,000/yr pretax in the Northeast is nothing - especially if you're trying to raise a family.

On $100,000/yr with a family of four in NJ you struggle to live a "comfortable" middle class.

Bad idea, James. Give it more thought before you dive in.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on paying off as much of your debts as you can before you go back to school - that way you don't have to worry about working as much. I'm definitely going to go back to school, but not until I've got all these dumbass vehicles paid off. It's going to be much easier to work a part-time job and have your only expenses be rent, food, and gas...it'd give you more time to concentrate on school.

Just my .02

Actually, I would pay off enough debt to qualify for a college loan. Yes, you usually want to pay off everything before starting something new, but not for education. Educational loans are about the cheapest interest rate loans you can get, and they have the most relaxed terms and payback rules. The large increase in income you get from a well chosen degree more than offsets (by quite a bit actually) the monthly payment you'll have from the college loan. The earlier you go to and finish school, the faster you'll increase your net monthly earnings. Sure, you'll owe more in raw dollars per month, but you'll be able to pay it off that much faster and start getting ahead sooner. If you wait to go to school, you have to spend that much more time at a lower income level to slowly pay off debts, and you don't come out enough on top to really get ahead. Wasted years = bad.

Maybe 10 years ago, but there are a ton of other fields that are quickly becoming feeding frenzies. Railroad engineering is one-step away from bringing coke and whores to college career fairs.

The tech fields are actually moving back to a programming boom. I'm a college recruiter as well as an engineer, and the degrees we're primarily looking for right now are all computer-based. Right now the demand vs supply disparity for comp. sci types is just as high as it was during the dot-com boom a few years ago, but it's supported by large companies and not by startups. The demand will last for quite some time.

Wil, I can't pay off debt making this kind of money. I'm putting 10 bucks away a week, I could probably do more if I want to pinch myself.

That's why going to school as early as possible is one of the best things you can do.

My sisters in law are so afraid of going into any kind of debt (even educational loans) that they're going to college one course at a time at the local community college where they live. They're finishing their degrees, but they're not going to be done at the Bachelor's level until probably their late 20s. The upside is that they won't have any debt at all when they finish, but they'll be about 8-10 years behind their peers.

One of my co-workers went to school full-time on nothing but loans, and she finished an engineering degree in 4 years. She only has to pay back $200 a month. Even the worst starting engineering salary will be more than able to pay $200 a month on a loan and still be able to live comfortably. If you work at low wage rates like $10/hour, $200 a month becomes quite a bit. Your promotional opportunities aren't as good, percentage raises don't give you as much every year... etc.

Get ahead as quickly (and comfortably) as you can.

Actually, I would pay off enough debt to qualify for a college loan. Yes, you usually want to pay off everything before starting something new, but not for education. Educational loans are about the cheapest interest rate loans you can get, and they have the most relaxed terms and payback rules. The large increase in income you get from a well chosen degree more than offsets (by quite a bit actually) the monthly payment you'll have from the college loan. The earlier you go to and finish school, the faster you'll increase your net monthly earnings. Sure, you'll owe more in raw dollars per month, but you'll be able to pay it off that much faster and start getting ahead sooner. If you wait to go to school, you have to spend that much more time at a lower income level to slowly pay off debts, and you don't come out enough on top to really get ahead. Wasted years = bad.

I forget which economist stated this argument, but its highly debatable. I tend to agree with the argument, however, and think the opportunity cost of not attending college and not using essentially interest free money, until 6months after your complete your education, is unwise.

I look at it this way... by the time Katie's sisters finish their bachelor's degrees (about 27-29 years old), I was out in industry for 6 years already getting experience under my belt. That's 6 years gained on promotions, resume fodder, hell- even fairly close to a management desk (even at a huge company) if I push hard enough. If you throw out all the economic advantages, the experience still counts for a LOT.

Me @ 29: bought a house, having a kid, completely own 4 cars, 6-7 years' post college experience, good start on retirement savings.

Them @ 29: college degree, no savings, no experience, no equity, used beat up car (singular).

Mike is completely right.

While admin jobs are hard to come by in the tech industry, Programming jobs are a dime a dozen and starting salary is 70k+ (in the DFW area).

Im more of a sys admin (to my disadvantage), but luckily ive had a lot of experience in programming (C++, VB, PHP, VB.NET) and thats what is keeping me afloat.

Id rather be a sys admin, but ill take a programming job in a heart beat. Im willing to bet that in 2 years, when i finish my degree, that my 4 years experience being a sys admin and developer on top of my BS will be a lot more attractive than someone who just came out of college and is looking for work.

Not only that, Im about 2 years from paying off my S2000 (that i bought 4 months ago) and Im completely debt free (aside from the s2k of course). Ive $10,000 in savings and still adding up (looking to buy a house). Ive also got my money spread over a few investments. 25k in an IRA, another 5k (now 8k) in a few mutual funds that have done really well.

Im 21, not a college graduate, and not of wealthy birth. I just saved and invested well young. Thats what Mike is talking about. I wish to hell that i could touch some of my money, but im okay with the fact that its out of my reach and im just living off %85 of my checks. It works well for me and if I ever get into a tight spot I have quite a few ways out.

Its all about making smart decisions, getting input from people that have been there, and getting started ASAP (Meaning if you havent started investing and planning for your future, its never too late to start).

Ya'll can count computer programming, tech and whatnot out. I've had enough of it. I'm not very good with it and I hate doing it. Trying to figure out why a new internet connection isn't working after hoping I'd set up the switches and routers correctly just flat out gives me a headache.

I was thinking of some sort of engineering program that deals with roads, bridges, architecture would be fun. I'm always interested in how interchanges, bridges and interstates/roadways/highways are laid out and constructed. Haven't had the time this week to really start looking around though.

Civil Engineers are in pretty high demand in my area as well...Its a good choice if CT has as much under construction as Dallas does.

I live in Indiana... you know that, Fritz we talked about that at the party. lol

But yeah... we have shittons of construction. Jefferson blvd, half of new haven, Northern I69 (MM 114-117).

They're going to be building US24 as an interstate here soon. Half of downtown Ft Wayne is tore up..

civil engineers will never go without a job.

it's a dying breed, but its a job that must be done....

personally, I'd rather be in a position to hire an engineer than to actually be one. :ph34r:

If it means not being behind a desk all day, I'm game for any job. Except sewer washer.

Back